Advice on how to get my social care transferred from Carlisle to Scotland?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 27 and i have general anxiety disorder and aspergers. I currently live in Carlisle, Cumbria but I'm wanting to get my social care transferred from Carlisle to Scotland and get my own care package sorted out, because the health services in my area are terrible and i haven't gained anything from, not only that I've had a really bad experience from them with both my mental and physical health. I've done a lot of research into health services in Scotland and it's much better than in Carlisle, Cumbria, also it has the services that i need which aren't here. My health has deteriorated quite a bit as well because of this, which is why I'm doing this.

I'm trying to get this organised but because my social worker isn't much help and she is in a lot of disagreement with getting transferred and with a few other things, she is making it hard for me to get this done, also she doesn’t listen and understand me very well, which alot of it is to do with my aspergers and not understand my needs.

I've tried going through my local advocacy services, mind, I've asked PALS, tried to get in touch with the manager of social care carlisle and anything else that may help, but no success. I don't want to make a complaint because I've loads of complaints over the years and nothing came out of it.

My social worker has told me that there might be complications with getting my care moved over and what I'm eligible for health care in Scotland. She told me that i need to get somewhere to live first and then i will be able to sort my care, but the problem with that is is that i don't know what i will be entitled to and if even can get transferred, there, so it's too risky renting a flat there and finding out im not entitled to it.

I'm now considering getting a lawyer or a solicitor either from Scotland or somewhere close by me, but there isn't any solicitors in my area that can help me with this specific thing. I don't know what would be the best option, to hire a solicitor from Scotland or near Carlisle, because a couple of people advised me to find a solicitor in Scotland, but again it might be bit of a problem because I'm not a resident of Scotland and i don't know of any Solicitors that will travel and if a solicitor can take legal action in my social care. Because I've got no one else to support me in this i desperately want to get my health back on track so i can progress further, ready when i go to University next September. Can anyone give me any guidance on this or maybe suggest something i haven't mentioned?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Juliand

You are located like me on the English Scottish Border, 

We cannot normally get treatment on the Scottish side, we need to live in Scotland.

The problem is our local Health Authorities have to pay for our treatment and this makes it even more complex as the Scottish Health Service would need to bill England for treatment and the actual system is different on the Scottish side

All I can suggest is that you move to Scotland. The only times I have had treatment up there was when I sprained an ankle and got it wrapped and when I needed bandages changed when up there on a course. I had a letter from an English Hospital to show to A and E then.

I live four miles from Scotland and my nearest General Hospital is on the Scottish side, many here try and get treated there, that is not possible we have a forty mile journey for an English General and sixty miles to a Teaching Hospital. They have just built an intensive care hospital and that is fifty miles away, so I see where you are coming from

Sorry, you will need to move find somewhere nice with good facilities

BOB

• Posted

Thanks for letting me know, so basicly i need to find somwhere to live first in ordet to get my health care transferred to Scotland, also will scotland charge England authorities for my care only, they won't charge anything extra in top of that if that makes sense, who can i get intouch with regarding this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.