Advice on how your teeth should feel after finishing antibiotics for Wisdom tooth gum infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

I developed a gum infection around my wisdom tooth a week ago today! I was in terrible pain, went to dentist to discover I have impacted wisdom tooth so had an infection in the gum. She prescribed metronozidole. Which I have taken for 5 days 3 times a day last one was last night.

My question is this… how do I know totally if infection has cleared?

I was in agony and on lots of painkillers, yesterday only felt the need for painkillers once. Today not actually in pain anymore but aware of my gum and jaw feels abit achy and stiff more than anything else.

I am just scared re it coming back.

I am booked to see dentist in 2 weeks to discuss options ie do I try and keep on top of it and clean it or have it removed.

My questions is should I be totally pain free today and back to 100% normal or am I expecting too much. After having an infection I presume maybe it does take a while for things to settled down and as discussed the pain is not there now?

Just wanted advice on how other people have felt when they stopped taking antibiotics 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

How long do they take to notice a difference as I have the exact same. Started taking my antibiotics yesterday I'm in agony and sick of living on paracetomol and ibuprofen! And even after taking those I'm still in pain 😩

• Posted

Hiya I sympathise.

My started last wednesday night whilst on holiday. 

Had emergency appointment thursday and said it was a gum infection.

Started taking them Friday.

My course was 3 a day for 5 days.

I was doing the same as you praying for the time I could take my next paracetamol or ibru.. Friday and Saturday were very bad. Sunday started to feel a bit better, monday even more then yesterday last day of antis I only needed one does of paracetomol rather than what I was taking.

Stopped course last night, today jaw stiff but pain has gone.

Been on tender hooks all day it is awful.

Just try and keep to the right doses, use a warm flannel.

I do symptahise made me proper miserable

• Posted

I had similar - an infection on molar root. I was given antibiotics. They took a couple of days to take effect - I started taking them the Tuesday lunchtime and still on painkillers until Thursday afternoon.

Before antibiotics I was taking cocodamil and ibuprofen more often than I should have. But since antibiotics took effect I've been fine and not needed any pain killers. It took about 3-4 days for all puffyness and for it to feel 'normal'. I was paranoid for about a week the pain would come back once I stopped antibiotics - but it's not. Now 2 weeks later and still fine.

I have an appointment to get root canal done in 3 weeks time. The dentist seems to think it should be OK till then, but does warn as the trace of infection is still there until root canal is done it could flare up again any time.

I found alternating ibuprofen and co-codimol or paracetamol every 2-3 hours worked best when I was in pain. Then doing a warm salt water mouth rinse regularly was soothing. Then a I'd had an ice pack in a pillow case to put against jaw to help the puffy jaw. I'd also 'sleep' propped up on pillows as that felt better. Using Clove oil made the pain worse and Don't use a hot water bottle as will make puffyness/infection worse!!!

All the best!

• Posted

Hi there, well I sure do know exactly what you've been through! I've been messing about with a tooth now, big one at the back, for four years and on the 29th August, it started to flare up again. Made an appointment to see dentist, on the actual day of appointment had a call to say dentist was ill! By then I was in agony!!!! Cutting a long story short, I am only now relatively pain free after ten days of antibiotics. Had to go find myself a new dentist as NHS dentist missed the fact that I also need two other teeth sorted. So today is the day. A root canal filling plus two others plus a full clean as apparently I need it. All to be carried out under sedation as I'm nervous. As far as I'm concerned NHS dental care is too basic. Prevention is key! I would advise get your treatment as soon as!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.