Advice on hypo please

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband has been hypo for about 4 years. He was once given too much when the doctor increased meds from 75 to 125 in one go. (He was anxious . Heart palpertating . And climbing the walls) . So now does not have much trust in docs. He was taking 100 one day then 75 the next . But felt he was under, so he took 100 Then 87 alternating. He has changed meds by a very small amount. And does it for 6 weeks. So to see how he feels.

He has just had a blood tests

Tsh is 5.4 and FT4 is 12.5

Docs say not to change meds. But he is feeling hypo. And worried about takin a bit more leveothyroxine in case he goes over.

Are we missing something. Is there any advise out there please

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kim

My experience has been to stay with the level the Dr recommended but to do other things himself such as changing his diet and exercising. Even if it walking. If he smokes and drinks alcohol, time to cut down or cut out. Lowering cholesterol levels etc. I know this sounds like general advice but it's the only way to stabilise everything that's going on with the body. Read blogs online about hypothyroidism to educate yourselves on what's best for your lifestyle. I've had to try several things over the years and ended up taking meat out of my diet and taking my levothyroxine before bed. When I was taking it in the mornings I got vertigo. I hope this helps a little. M.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for advise. He has never smoked. He drinks occasionally. But generally doesn t agree with him. He became gluten free about 7 months ago, also he dosn t have cows diary,

Only goat, so little fat. which he has definitely seen an improvement. He is active in daily life we have 16 acres. So there is always something to do, when he feels ok although plods. But when he doesn t , he sort of panics cos there is so much work. I have also got him to start swimming once a week, For last couple of weeks. He is really disaplined. But hates doctor's. But at the same time is very much in tune with his body. And worries!

• Posted

You need to stay consistent with meds. The meds are very touchy.  T.S,H of 5.4 is too high. The normal range is .40 - 4.00 he will need to adjust to the new meds but needs to take the same dose at the same times each day.   I’ve been on meds for 22 years now and that seems to work the best. 
    • Posted

Thanks for reply

The doc says no action needed. He is worried if he is his meds that he will go hyper.

He is roughly on 100 Then 75 alternative . He felt hyper when on 100 every day. Getting anxious and pulse was elevated which was uncomfortable for him.. So after 6 weeks he did less meds. Or should he have persisted longer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.