Advice on levels and carbinazole

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism my levels are;

tsh. <0.05 ( 0.3-5.5)

T3 16.5 (3.1-6.8)

T4. 54.6 (12-22)

I've been given 2 x 20mg of carbinzole which I've been taking the last 2 weeks, over the weekend I've had some bad headaches and felt very lightheaded so I've stopped taking the tablets, I'm going to contact the gp tomorrow to see what he advises, but I'd really like to hear your thoughts on my levels, they seem high to me, am I being daft stopping the meds, i am symptomatic I have palpitations but my pulse seems ok.

Would you try something different? I'm waiting to see the endo but no date as yet?

I would love some advise.

Thank you

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I would advice you continuing taking your medication until you see your gp. Your levels seem high...you don't want to experience a thyroid storm.

• Posted

Agree that you shouldn't stop meds without the advice of your doctor. It takes a couple of weeks for meds to start taking its full effect so you're probably still experiencing symptoms from high levels.

• Posted

Cecelo

If you are haaving palpiations you really need to be checked by a dr or paramedic. Carbimazole can cause acardiac arrhythmias,The info is on the Patient Information Leaflet.

NB It can be very risky to take any supplements without checking this out witht your dr first. Th dr is the only one who has your medical historypluslistof medications. Some supplements can cause an irregular heart beat. L Carnitine being one of several. One suits one person may be disasterous for another, please check everything out with your dr first.

​Can u ring first thing in the morning or ven 111 now to speak to an OOH dr?

• Posted

Hi Jane, I believe your response was to the OP 😌

• Posted

Take your beds, you're probably adjusting . Suddenly stopping can send your levels crazy! 

Last for an urgent referral to an Endocrinologist 

• Posted

Helen

If you are haaving palpitations you really need to be checked by a dr or paramedic. Carbimazole can cause a cardiac arrhythmias,The info is on the Patient Information Leaflet.

NB It can be very risky to take any supplements without checking this out without your dr first. Th dr is the only one who has your medical history plus list of medications. NB Some supplements can cause an irregular heart beat. L Carnitine being one of several. What suits one  person may be disasterous for another, please check everything out with your dr first.

?Can u ring first thing in the morning or even 111 now to speak to an OOH dr?

?

• Posted

Hi Helen, I would not advise you to stop your meds without a doctors advice. The side effects, if that's what they are, sound relatively mild and you will only be delaying your treatment. Your levels were quite a bit higher than mine and it has taken months for mine to normalise. If you really want to stop them see your doctor but you should probably see your doctor anyway in case it isn't related to the medication. Good luck and please let us know how you go.

• Posted

Helen I take it you are on two 20mg tablets per day of Carbimazole ?

Instead of stopping , which is not to be recommended , you could perhaps decrease that dose ... at one point in my treatment with Carbimazole I did just that as I felt I was going towards Hypo .

But of course I was in touch with my Endocrinologist by email l and asked him if that was ok .. and he agreed with my decision .

Supplements can be extremely helpful in your quest for better health .. and it may not be everyone's choice to take them but my GP offered me absolutely nothing to help me and I was very ill indeed .. that is why I chose to self medicate with vitamins minerals and nutrients that my body was missing !!!

And it worked extremely well

I am Euthyroid .. and I feel very good indeed

And I certainly will continue to take them as I know what I'm doing is building up my immune system and replacing all the

Things that Graves' disease had taken from me whilst I was running at 100 miles an hour ...

I'd phone or email your Endo and tell him you are worried .. and I'm sure he will come up with the solution ..

Be strong and try to make the correct decisions for you ... whilst learning as much as you can about this disease

Also taking good advice from others experiences ..

Good luck Luvvie

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Hi Helen

Like Madge, I reduced my Methimazole when I felt I was going hypo. I was on 10mg and reduced by 2.5mg with endo's knowledge. I just made another cut of 2.5 so down to 5mg. It's not advisable to "cold turkey" any meds. Always taper slowly with doc's advice. And make sure to keep having blood tests to check your levels. Good luck and I hope you feel better xo

hugs

Jaye

• Posted

Thank you so much to everyone that has replied. I'm really surprised at how supportive this forum is.

I managed to speak to my go today and he's now given me a new prescription for propylthiouracil 3x50mg a day. I've taken my first one this evening. Has any one taken these before? How did it go?

I'm interested in any info on thyroid storms, everything I've read says these are very rare. I'm a bit worried that my levels are high, are there any kind of t4/t3 values that cause this, when do you need to start to worry?

I hope you are all well. Thanks again for all your help xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.