Advice on life after full colectomy

Posted , 1 user is following.

Does anyone have any advice/stories on what kind of quality of life there is after having a full colectomy?

I am a 32 year old woman and had a hemi colectomy in 2021 removing 75% of the large intestine after having a bad flare up every 6-8 weeks for roughly 6. I don't have a stoma! Sadly it just seems to be getting worse and the surgeon has given me 6 months to decide whether to have the remainder of the large intestine, some of the small and a portion of the colon removed. They're very hesitant to do the surgery because of my age, however bowel cancer runs in my family and they're concerned about what will happen if they don't. Plus living with this pain is insane, I already take 200mg of tramadol a day to help.

I would love to hear from other people who have had this surgery and how their life has been impacted after. especially women since I've been warned that it can lead to nutritional issues which effects the possibility of pregnancy?

I'm feeling a bit lost and hopless with this.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.