Advice on living with SVT

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I am new to this but I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on how to manage my SVT.

I have had it for about 5-6 years now and I've had 3x cardiac ablations to no avail. It's rather hard to get any medical help without shelling out several hundred dollars/waiting 12-24 months. I just want to know what people do to help themselves?

Do you use a specific diet and workout regime? Is there anything more i can do?

Thank you for your time.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Just remember that SVT in itself is not life threatening. I was born with it and was never recommended to have an ablation, so I have learned to deal with it. As far as diet and exercise, I try to stay active (I do HIIT 2-3 times a week) and avoid stimulants as much as possible.

• Posted

I am new also. I have to say when it happens I always worry it will happen again the next day and get in this cycle that I am worried it's going to happen again. I get polyuria afterwards and it makes my heart/rate shaky and makes me feel a little nervous anxious afterwards. Is that common?

• Posted

Certainly that's common.

If you are new to this, then I am sure your anxiety is taking over.

When I first started having episodes, my anxiety was crazy, and that of course made it worse.. My bp would go crazy high.

I got to the point that I no longer get anxious unless my episodes are over 1 1/2 hours long.

I tend to get more p****d off especially if I have plans.

I just get to my maneuvers and keep doing it until one works .My episodes can be 5 minutes but have gone for over 6 hours.

I too get polyuria. I do not think everyone gets that.

Do you know swhat type of svt you have? And how high does your rate go

• Posted

Idk what type I think they wanted to give me less info to avoid further anxiety. It's been 160 but it's usually lower. like 120-140. It's really just how I feel afterwards that makes me hate it.

• Edited

I take Metoprolol and honestly while it does probably help. I don't like how I can feel my heart beat more while on the metoprolol. It sort of tricks my mind into thinking I'm panicking. Because it's like a stronger heartbeat kind of or muffled. Idk it's hard to explain. Like when I wasn't on metoprolol if my heart rate was 100-120 I couldn't feel it. But on metoprolol I can feel it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.