Advice on medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I have what must be a sinus infection so far for 4 weeks. Feeling completely drained. I have made a doctor's appointment but it's not for 2 weeks. Can anyone recommend OTC medication. I can't take regular decongestants like sudafed

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

try taking flonase. sometimes allergies are the root cause of sinus issues. if it truly is a sinus infection you might need an antibiotic (if its bacterial and not viral). i would make an appointment with another ent to see if you can get in quicker OR go to an urgent care, which can see you on the spot.

• Posted

Hi I have been plagued with sinus infections for the last few years, my old DR. just kept throwing antibiotics at me, no help. i then changed Dr. and in the past two years Ive had one course of antibiotics for chest infection.

so, heres what she put me on/doing.

saline rinse (I bought a pack that included sachets of salt, plastic bottle)

a cold & flu tablet (dont think i can put brand name here)

the tablet was to take away the banging head and the rinse was to clean out nasal passage, its not nice doing it, but it works so good. (dont do what I did, as it says on box to use water from kettle thats been boiled (& not too hot) but once I used hot water from the tap & I wont try it again as it felt like my nose was going to burn off me - lol)

Both OTC.

Hope this helps as it wears you down as only I know too well.

feel better soon.

• Posted

neti pods work well definitely. just make sure you use them correctly. saline rinse is what i use in the morning follow by Flonase. Everyone is different though,

• Posted

Hi Daisyjo,

For OTC, You can use netipot with saline nasal wash, But will take some time to adjust to it, But it is the best way, You can see you tube videos how to use it. Make sure you do it in morning and not night.

Another thing which will reduce secretions, Is otc antihistamine like loratidine. It will help to reduce secretions.

Also you can take morning, night steam inhalation and try to sleep on 2 pillows, which will allow you to drain secretions during night.

Also you can listen to binaural music for sinus healing. It worked for me when I sleep listening to that, Next morning felt better, Kind of sound therapy.

Later with physician you will get prescribed precise treatment.

• Posted

Hey,

I have always been a fan of natural remedies and herbal treatments. I had a sinus infection once and was taking some tablets made from herbal extracts and minerals.

This was very effective for me and would definitely recommend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.