Advice on my upcoming hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just would like some advice on things I may need and must haves. Diet? Medications? What to expect the first few weeks recovery wise? Pain? So many questions absolutely terrified.  I do have a 4 year old I have all day. I will be getting help atleast the first week for sure maybe not as much the following week. I get a hysterectomy endo removal and pullin the inside of my vagina up why that one not sure. Still have questions for him as well. Thanks for any advice it’s will be a life saver 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I’m sure it’s very terrifying, I had a partial hysterectomy, I made sure to have a heating pad,light snacks crackers,cheese,fruit and of course water,tea and plenty of rest. With having a young child, that maybe difficult but not impossible lay as much as possible, light bending. Oh I did get a abdominal binder, for support very helpful. The first 2 days I was miserable felt like cramps x’s 3, I had pain medicine but help for a couple hours. Stay strong it will be fine. Strong in faith with help during the emotional times. Good luck it’s not easy but not impossible. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much it helps going in prepared.  It not for another month and a half  or so which kinda is good and bad. Get one more month to do things but I also got a month to think about all day 😀 I’ll be back im sure of it! 

• Posted

I'm almost 2 weeks post TAH and had everything removed. I am 50 and have 2 grown up boys and 3 grandkids (7-15) and 2 dogs plus work full time and have an allotment so was petrified of how we would cope. Make sure you eat little and often and as healthy as poss. Make sure you drink lots of water (I have sliced lemon in a sports bottle so can keep an eye on how much im drinking). Ditch some of the caffeine, alcohol and junk food for a while. Sleep on your side with a pillow under your tummy as it helps massively. You will get up loads in the night for the first week until your bowels and bladder get out of shock. Rest with your legs up when you can and DO NOT lift heavy items or push/pull. Listen to your body and when your belly swells or bloats and your back becomes tight then you need to rest. Why not have your child up on your bed with you for an hour or so a couple of times a day and take colouring books or tv/DVD player just so you can relay while occupying them. Get them to help you ie fetching items or dusting or filling washing machine as they will surprise you and find it fun. Sit down to do baking with them or even get them to water the garden. You could do simple crafts together. At day 1 I was OMG what have I done. By day 5 it was not as bad and by day 10 I was feeling so much more energy. Be ready to wear comfy stuff as your belly will be swollen. Be ready for constipation and get stool softener and sennakot. Be ready for weeing a lot and for feeling a bit light headed and giddy. Be readybto walk slowly for a while and get ivertaken by snails. Be ready to feel that in 8 weeks you will be feeling better than ever. Good luck.

• Posted

Omgosh thank you so much Tina this has helped a bunch sure I’ll be messaging  you if you don’t mind once I’m actually in recovery 
    • Posted

Markee that's absolutely fine. This forum and the hystersisters forum have been great for advice and tips. I didn't realise how many women were in the same position.

• Posted

I had my tvh and anterior repair in January.

Although the recovery in terms of pain was very minimal the recovery t one was long.

No lifting,bending,carrying children for at least 12 weeks. If you do you risk yourself prolapsing ,and you don't want that.

There is no way with a young child you will manage because you have to rest . A lot goes on inside with the tissues that need time to heal without any strain like standing etc.

Believe it or not it takes12 mths to recover internally for. Hyster and repair.

G old luck and think of you.. You need to heal c completely for you and your famiky?x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.