Advice on overstin cream

Posted , 4 users are following.

i suffer with vagina atrophy which presents itself for me with pain around my vagina lips, bloating in my stomach, being more incontinent which means I'm up 2 or 3 times a night and just general discomfort. I used ovestin cream for two weeks solid because of this discomfort again but then as soon as I dropped it back

to twice a week again the discomfort has come back and I am concerned about upping it again as my doctor has always said I need to stop taking it for a period of time before I take it in a block again please can anyone help me with this? I work for the NHS and I'm currently doing 6 days a week and this is dragging me down. thank you in advance for any advice.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caz, Ovestin is very weak, not like the hrt patches and gels. Its the equivalent of one hrt tablet a year in oestrogen if you use twice a week. Using it most nights wont do any harm.

If you need it for atrophy and it helps, its worth using it more.

• Posted

thank you so much for that reassurance, my other concern is is that I take evorel 50 patches twice a week and my doctor after blood test I said I needed more or and I also now take a gel would that all together be too much in your opinion. I obviously realise this isn't medical advice sorry but didn't sleep much again last night, thanks again, Caz

• Posted

Ovestin isnt really the same as hrt, its a more weaker topical treatment for atrophy. Is it atrophy and soreness that is stopping you sleeping? Atrophy really only causes soreness, dryness and shrinkage of labia, also vaginal soreness. It shouldnt cause bloating or incontinence. That sounds more like a uti

The estriol gel was too strong for me, I am post meno and needed oestrogen for atrophy. I have found for me that is enough, and really dont need the patches or gel, they just made me swollen. So unless youre peri meno, or menopausal, maybe your dosage is too high, and if you could cope either with a lower dose of gel, or even without one of them, gel or patches, you could use ovestin more often.

• Posted

Thank you for all the information Laura it's useful to get someone elses perspective. I spoke to my doctor and said that I didn't think vaginal atrophy affected the bladder so how could the ovisten cream help with this and she said it does because it can be in some people linked. With the bloating I mean my bladder gets so full it's uncomfortable but not like a UTI which I have had many of. thanks again Caz

• Posted

i have that condition too and was fine for months. I use estriol caream it too is a non-powerful cream. I wasn't very sure for a start thought it could be UTI because it smelt so bad only thing I wasn't feeling ill like I usually was with UTI

I still have not taken the tablets because wanted to see if it got better without antibiotics

i am convinced its the vaginal atrophy now

have increased the cream to every night for a week and will see what happens. yes i need to get up to the toilet but with the extra estriol cream it is helping a bit I will go back down to once a week after tomorrow

• Posted

forgot to say vaginal atrophy definitely does affect the bladder

• Posted

Sorry for such a delay in replying Olive8 but I've had a few issues. Its reassuring to know someone has similar symptoms to me as the pain in my bladder is very uncomfortable and that gives me an urgency to get to the toilet at night. I too was told by my doctor that the bladder is affected with the menopause and i get that smelly urine as well. My problem is that I am only truly comfortable taking the cream every night and when I go back to twice a week which my doctor recommended, I only have to miss it once and it induces an attack i.e. all the uncomfortableness in my vagina etc. so after my last attack and chatting to you guys Ive gone up to 3 times a week but i have mixed feelings about this, as i am told by everyone, the doctor included that the amount i am taking is only the equivalent of 1 patch a year. So i struggle to understand why if its so localised and low strength why we can't take it everyday? Its so good to be able to share, thanks again Caz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.