Advice on possible IBD

Posted , 2 users are following.

looking for some reassurance about my upcoming appointment and what they may say.

about 10 months ago i went to the doctor complaining of various symptoms such as mucous in my stool, abdominal pain on my left upper side, ect...

I had blood tests and stool tests done, which came back normal and was told I may have IBS. I was prescribed peppermint tablets, which didn't really help, and my symptoms weren't too severe so i didn't worry.

About 2 months ago i was prescribed NSAIDs for an unrelated condition, along with medication to protect my stomach to prevent ulcers. Within 2 doses i was having bad stomach cramps, and booked an emergency GP appointment. The GP noticed abdominal tenderness, a borderline fever, and was concerned, so sent me to the SAU. My bloods cane back normal, with borderline high white blood cell levels. The next day i was given an ultrasound which was normal, and a faecal calprotectin test, which came back inconclusive (52 ug/g?? i think), so they ordered a repeat in 6 weeks

it took me about a month to recover from this, with severe nausea and loss of appetite, diarrhea, extreme fatigue (I was exhausted however much i slept). I was really affected by whatever it was.

I had a flexi sigmoidoscopy for suspected IBD which i found very painful, so they had to stop before they got past my rectum, but they found inflammation that i have been told is proctitis. They didn't manage to get to the area where I actually have the pain, which is what I am worried about.

I had the follow up calprotectin test, which came back as 166 (ug/g???), which I am told is abnormal. I am still having some pain on my left side.

I am seeing a gastroenterologist in a few weeks, but I want to know what to expect - will i need another endoscopy? Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does this sound like IBD?

thanks 😃

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hopefully the gastroenterologist will tell you what you need to do if things are not good. I can assume that its fixable but requires conditioning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.