Advice on recent ankle surgery needed

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 7 weeks post op surgery on a recent ankle fracture where I broke it in 3 places. I had surgery on it where a plate and pins were fitted. I had a cast on until last week on was non weight bearing I am still non wearing but have a bot to wear in stead as the fracture still hasn't healed. I am ok to not wear the boot while in bed or at rest but I find the boot uncomfortable am I ok not to wear while moving about but not weight bearing. 

I am am also experiencing swelling on the opposite side of my ankle where I am told I haven't done anything to I mentioned this to the consunsant but he said they hadn't done anything and didn't really seem interested. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

I'm sorry you're having trouble ...

In what way are you having issues with the boot?  I found when I had to wear mine all the time, it would rub the incision on the inside of my ankle.  I put anything in there for padding, paper towel, a piece of towel, a sock....absolutely anything to keep it more snug and not aggravate it anymore.  Maybe you could try adding another pump of air to stabilize it a little more?

I also found that early on, if I kept the boot off for too long, it would start to ache.  It felt far more comfortable to wear it and also felt more stable.

Not sure if any of these suggestions will help but it's worth a try to make this process a bit easier.

Wishing you a speedy recovery - as pain free as possible... smile

Deb

• Posted

hi Deb it am unable to put any more air in the boot as I haven't got anything to do this with. My foot seems to be halfway up the boot as it dangle. But I just seem to be in more pain when the boot is on . Thank you. Xx 

• Posted

Oh I'm sorry that idea won't help.  I continue to keep positive healing thoughts your way, and to everyone still suffering.

Do your best to stay positive, I do know how difficult that is.  I just drove my car for the first time in 15 weeks.....I feel like I've won the lottery!!!

Thank you to everyone for your continued good wishes and support, it means a lot.

Deb

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

i also broken my ankle in 3 places (trimalleolar) and had 7 weeks in a cast after op with 11 screws and a plate. After wearing the boot for 5 weeks I was using crutches and spending more time bootless, including at night. I then fell while not wearing boot, and broke my first metatarsal, so need to wear the boot, non weight bearing for 4 more weeks! 

I was told this week, that the foot bones are very brittle after non weight bearing time, which is why a very minor fall broke a bone. My bone density has decreased and muscle atrophy means bones arent supported.

my advice is be very careful when not wearing the boot. After a week and a half of much pain, i am now sleeping without the boot again, but am very careful what I do.

• Posted

Wear the boot!!!! I’m wk 28 post op 1 plate & 6 screws. I was in non weight boot for 9 weeks (no cast), then partial weight bearing in boot for 6 wks, full weight on boot for another 6 wks. My bone in October still wasn’t fused all the way. I’m now wearing tennis shoes and walking with a cane. I still have pain, a little swelling and going to pt. It’s extremely important to follow your instructions! You want everything to heal right.  When dr gives you the ok to get in tub and start doing exercises, do so. I started out with flexing foot up and down and doing the alphabet. But wait for the ok from your doctor. You will find everyone here is so helpful and informative! It’s a great place to be to find out you aren’t alone in all of this! Continue to ice, elevate and rest!! And give your body the time it needs to heal. They told me my injury will take at least a year! Good luck and best of healing to you!! 🙏🏼🙏🏼💕🙏🏼🙏🏼

• Posted

Definitely wear it at all times while moving - it is too easy to fall or accidentally touch down while moving and without your boot you could easily hurt yourself and disrupt the healing. I have a less serious fracture (stable/no surgery) and while I am allowed to bear my full weight it is only in my boot. My boot can only be off when I am at rest - while moving it has to be on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.