Advice on remedies for constipation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I'm a 26 year old woman experiencing challenges with constipation.

I am currently vegan, eat balanced meals (including leafy greens, vegetables and fruits) and practice yoga regularly.

However, when waking early (5am-6am) I experience constipation and painful bloating. When I able to sleep until 7am, I have a cup of coffee and typically am able to use the bathroom.

Lately, I have been using laxative tea in the evenings. When I do not use it, I cannot use the bathroom. Sometimes, I take psyllium husk capsules which do not always help. I find enemas to also be unsuccessful.

I find this challenge to keep me from activities and causes me great discomfort.

This has been going on for a few years and am wondering if I should seek medical advice.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Experienced constipation long enough to consider chronic. You have to be careful not to become overly dependent  on things not based on what your gut would normally process. Fibre supplements work if taken with lots of water. I switched from psyllium to another product not so granular. It's inulin based ,clear in the glass and tasteless. Commercial name Fibre Rific. I use Bran Bud cereal supplemented with golden flax seed powder. I also take three stool softeners a day (docusate sodium). I'm more comfortable when I eat salad at least once a day. Plus veggies. Cut down on bread. Probiotics are receiving a lot of attention but not a success with me.

A dietitian may be worth consulting. There is more info online these days.

The doctors I've seen see the problem as dietary. I think it's IBS which of course is without cure. But following some or all the above I'm able to manage.

I have developed hemorrhoids and occasionally have them treated.

It would be good to see a Dr. to rule out a more serious issue.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Victoria, I have just sent a message to you but for some reason it disappeared, anyway I felt I needed to respond as I am a veggie and also eat lots of healthy stuff like you but my digestive system has never been great, all my life struggled with bowel problems ( constipation ) now at the age of 58 I have discovered Probiotics, have you ever read how they can help you, not only with bowel problems either. I decided to try a super strength probiotic and ever since not had any constipation, however they tend to be a to super strength so have ordered a new one that has both probiotic and fibre, think maybe you should try some , I am so glad I have, it means never having to worry about laxatives again. Hope this helps, good luck.
  • Posted

What type of enema do you mean when you write that you "find enemas to also be unsuccessful"?

Using an enema bag for an old-fashioned SSE (soap suds enema) has never, ever failed. me!  The pre-packaged micro-enemas ("Fleet Enemas"wink are all but useless, so if that's what you tried, please instead try using an an enema bag!

I'm happy to share with you the details of what I do that always, unfailing works for me and gets me from horribly clogged to totally empty in less than half an hour...I've already typed this up to share with others, and I'll post it here if you'd like.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.