Skip to content

Constipation

All discussions in this group

Next
  • julien76011 1

Post surgery constipation

Hello, i've had surgery a little bit more than 48 hours ago for a pilonidal sinus ( basically removing tissue of a cyst in the lower back/between buttcheeks area ) and i still havent had a bowel movement. I take tylenol with codein aswell as colace, which is suposed to soften stools but i dont really...

2 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • youngatheart1 5

Not sure if this is IBS. Diverticular or constipation

Hi, sorry about details, but I pass a stool daily sometimes several times, they are either really big and hard to pass or small pellets.  I also have pain all over stomach area, stabbing, burning pain from under left rib across front and down.  I also have wind and pain in left shoulder blade.  It is...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • Picture 1
  • RVF 3

slow gut motility

This condition means I get constipated and have to resort to laxatives which not keen on.     I get awful trappped wind which akes me at 3am.....does anyone else have anything similar?     It's a night mare trying to balance the safe amount of fibre so as not to cause problems.

1 reply 0 votes Last reply
  • amy57522 3

Constipated for 6 weeks.. Any advice??

Hi I am a 24 year old female. I've had a do pain for 8 months. It started off being diarrhoea but now I have I have been constipated for 6 weeks now. I didn't pass any stool for 4 weeks and was in severe pain. I have been admitted into hospital recently when the done an X-ray and confirmed I was constipated....

20 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • mcncheri 3

Constant lack of regularity?

Despite numerous attempts at trying to improve my diet/lifestyle, only to end up in the exact same place, the lack of 'movement' is honestly starting to be concerning. Without too much detail, the only way nowadays to trigger anything at all after days onto weeks is a dose or two of Milk of Magnesia,...

•  christine13951 2

Taken too many Senna tablets

Hello I am a bit worried as I have taken 11 senna tablets over the last 2 days after misunderstanding the dosage. I haven't been to the toilet yet but really worried about what is going to happen over the next few hours, is this dangerous? Thanks

3 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • hannah 29318 1

Constipation problems

I am a 21 year old female. I have been suffering from very bad constipation. It seems to be on and off. I'll have periods of time where I have no issues, but then I will also have times where I suffer from constipation on a daily. My Mom suffers a little bit from IBS and is lactose intolerant. My half...

• sarah1788 3

Toddler has had constipation for 2 years now

My 3 year old has had constipation issues since she stopped breast feeding, I try to keep up with fiber but as I myself struggle to eat right I find it hard to remember to feed her fruits and vegetables and she ends up eating what I eat. However I'm not given up I just need to work harder on it. Well...

• cazkins 2

Constipation: Prolapse, rectocele & intussusception?

Hi everyone, This is my first time posting here after browsing a little while, so I hope it’s ok that I post. I’m feeling at my wit’s end and don’t quite know what to do, so any thoughts at all would be very much appreciated. I’ll try to keep it brief, but basically I have had constipation for about...

13 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Hello265 2
  • Jaylou33 2

Senna side effects

Hi I took two senna tablets on Saturday night before bed but still have tummy cramps and a general sore/bruised feeling in my tummy area. It has helped me to go to the toilet but my stool is now very loose. I know that senna can cause cramps but Is it usual to still be feeling like this? How long do...

• kec112992 2

Light headed and mildly nauseous

I have struggled with constipation most of my life, and recently an ulcer has triggered terrible episodes of it. But the thing is, I dont always realize I am constipated because I still have bowel movements every day. And then one day my stomach hurts, I take laxatives, and a couple days later I have...

• charles80265 1

Constipation from Injury?

I had someone push it in for me. He pulled my left arm (grabbed my hand and pulled it towards him), and then pushed on my collar bone in a snapping motion real fast, and immediately I felt rib pain on the left side, and since then I've been constipated for 17 days. I felt my hips move kind of and pelvis...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • Anon1970 1
  • pam34048 4

I have suffered with constipation all my life.

well I started eating an avocado,  coconut oil 4 tbsp a day and 2 tbsp of almonds a day and now I go three times a day.  I di all this cause I wanted to eat healthier for my copd.  I am 50 I wish I had changed my diet sooner.

2 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Krug22 3

suppository and enema not worked

My husband has been battling with constipation for a long time now. He is 78 and his diet is not good. He is exisiting  really on Fortisips and despite having an excellent  dietician, we have not been able to get him interested in eating much solid food. The Fortisips are now the fibre ones and he will...

• kimla10 2

constipation - Haemorrhoids

i've been thru a breakup, lost wt, just moving into a new flat and i thought i was doing really well with my digestion. i have miralax just not taken my smoothie concoction i make. Then Sat it felt like a Haemorrhoid. i have been sitting in salt water with baking soda every evening for about 5-10mins....

2 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Jaylou33 2

Bisacodyl alternative

Hi Basically I was struggling with constipation for about two weeks so I started to take som Movicol which caused loose thin stools. I went to see the nurse at the Gp's and she has said to take bisacodyl instead because she said that the movicol may be causing 'overflow' but leaving some hard stool...

5 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Itsme0512 2

Constipation issues

Just had a hemorrhoidectomy this past summer followed by complications from the surgery . My issue is constipation and not getting the urge to have a bowel movement and am still having this issue . I can't use stuff like benefits as it bloats me so presently take senekot every other day with softeneners...

• grapes1800 3

Constipation

I normally have bowel movements at least 3 times a week, maybe every other day, but sometimes even when I eat a lot I can't go for a couple days. Also when I drink alcohol then next day I might have a bowel movement, but when I stop drinking I'm constipated again. Now when I don't intake alcohol I'm...

3 replies 2 votes Last reply
  • kaitlyn61834 1
  • Amy176 1

Constipated - Cant pass Stool

Ive not suffered from any constipation for years, but all of a sudden a couple of days ago it just came out of nowhere, I have a large stool that wont come out, it feels like its too big and hurts too much when I try to go to the toilet. Does anyone have any tips I can try before going to the doctor?...

29 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Katyy 2

Not sure how to deal with this...

Okay so I have been on here before when this happened for 2-3 weeks, but it's been 4 weeks now and I'm getting kinda scared again XD I'm 13, and I don't have regular drinking or eating habbits, I go some days where I don't eat or drink at all. I've tried lots of different things like prunes, and trying...

• betty47942 3

Just wondering if you have tried this

Would really appreciate hearing from you folks...posts are so encouraging to read. I had IBS years ago...but the diarrhea kind...no problems or pain...just a pesky nuisance...then things changed... I 'suddenly' have switched to constipation and its extremely difficult for me to pass hard stools. Sometimes...

• Krug22 3

My 77 year old husband has not defeacated for a week.

I am worried. My husband's diet is not good and he is losing weight. He has been having Fortisips and as many as 6 a day of the fibre ones and very little else. He says he has problems chewing and swallowing and has little appetite. Dietician been good but he wont' co-operate. He won't take the fibre...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • Lillychiff 2

Any advice welcome. Need laxatives,but scared to use them.

Hi, please could anyone help? I have been constipated for a long time. I think I'm just used to it. I have fibromyalgia and I suppose that in trying to cope with that I've ignored this. Last year I developed very bad GERD. I lost about a stone in weight and the gastroenterologist I saw was worried enough...

6 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • angela192 3

An age thing ?

Suffered from constipation on and off since I was a toddler. Now I am in my seventies, it has got worse.  I am fairly active.  By rights I should be going through the eye of a needle.    Every morning I have wholewheat cereals or porridge.  With my cereals I have a few prunes, raspberries, blueberries...

8 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Zocks 1
  • jordan39436 1

Bowel Issues potential constipation??? Please help

Hi, I am a 20 year old male who is normally perfectly fit and well. 2 weeks ago I started to become constipated- I was unable to go to the toilet apart from hard little balls of poo and slight discomfort in my stomach- the feeling that I wasn't quite empty. 2 weeks on and the matter seems to have progressed...

• marion31442 3

Haemorrhoids The

Due to suffering from haemorrhoids, I was prescribed cream and suppositories by my GP. Last week I had bloody mucos following a bowel movement, should I go back to my GP?  

• lifeofbrian 2

constipation since endoscopy

I've been having trouble will bowel movements for the past two weeks, I saw a Doc and as usual she blamed anxiety as they do for any symptom I get. It feels as if I can't push it out, like my muscles down there don't work properly anymore. I have to go 2 or 3 times to empty myself. I've never had constipation...

• jl20 1

GoLytely for IBS-C not working

Hi guys I have been having constipation issues for almost a year now, and for the past 4 months, my GI doc and I have agreed to put me on something that usually works really well for me. I have been using golytely as an everyday med for 4 months now, and I go through a jug about every 3-4 days. I...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • jessica 67428 2

Constantly suffering with constipation

I work unsociable hours switching from nights to days. There are times I don't drink enough but compared to average person friends I don't drink any less than them yet they don't suffer with poor digestion or bowel movements. I always feel bloated towards end of the night and it's become so bad I actually...

• david16513 1

Plantaben advice

Hi, I've been using Plantaben, 1 Satchet each morning, for 12 months now, is this safe, I sometimes worry that I am taking it too regularly. Any advice would be most welcome. Thankyou, David.

0 replies 0 votes Posted
Back to top Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.