Reliance on Dulcolax suppositories...advice?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Nearly three years ago my then 86-year old mother was taken to the hospital in an emergency, as she hadn't moved her bowels in almost two weeks (her caregiver was incompetent, her diet bad and her weight over 200 lbs). She was de-impacted at the hospital, went to rehab for a few weeks, and released to live with another caregiver.

Her diet was modified and, although bedridden (we decided not to bring in a physical therapist to strengthen her and get her back on her feet, due to the pandemic), she started to lose the weight. The caregiver used Dulcolax suppositories twice a week to get her to release (she doesn't release otherwise). She's incontinent.

I have been the caregiver for her for the past year-and-a-half. She eats cleaner. No added sugars, no dairy, no wheat or most grains. She now weighs 100 lbs. I work her out in bed with the hope of getting her to walk again. But she is still reliant on the Dulcolax suppositories. I insert one every 3 or 4 days.

Does anyone have any advice on how I might modify/replace her use of the Dulcolax suppositories, and improve her ability to release without drugs?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.