Chronic Constipation

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've always been on and off constipated, but when I was young, I was have a couple of bowls of Raisin Bran and within 8 hours, I'd be on the toilet.

However, about a year ago, it stopped working. I've tried every thing I can think of. I ate a whole bag of prunes and nothing. I drank a whole bottle of prune juice. I had horrible cramps, but no actual movement. I took Senna leaves without success. I started taking Metamucil but no luck. I take Docusate Sodium 300 mg a day, but it doesn't seem to help much. The only thing that really worked was Dulcolax (bisacodyl 10 mg p.o.). OMG it was way, way, way too effective. Horrible cramping... hard stools... more cramping... hard stools followed by a gush of yuck. Half an hour later more need to go. Half an hour after that, just squirting out my intestines. Horrible... but now, even that doesn't work. I'm now taking milk of magnesia, but that isn't working either.

I have small movements a couple of times a day. Rabbit pellet type poop. I'm not on any medication. My diet is scrambled eggs w/ broccoli in the morning, boiled chicken with broccoli in the afternoon, and roast chicken + broccoli and brown rice at night. If I get hungry between meals, I eat whole wheat bread. I drink about 48 oz of liquid a day — 4 cans of Stevia-flavored soft drink with black cherry natural flavoring.

I haven't seen a doctor. I take supplements but nothing out of the ordinary — vitamin C, lysine, creatine monohydrate, and glucosamine chondroitin. I'm 49, male.

Any advice?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I personally see several possibilities. If you are getting enough liquid and fiber with no other known medical conditions related to your constipation you likely have an engorged hemerrhoid or group that are internal or external. A bowel obstruction is also a possibility. I have medical evidence because you are getting the small pellets and that shows lack of hydration, Too much insoluble fiber, and an obstruction in your gastrointestinal tract or one of the three commonly. Your best route is to see a gastroenterologist or proctologist for an examination procedure like a colonoscopy. You will have a positive education of your medical issue after that. As far as diet there is a magic cereal combination that I am almost positive will regulate your bowel movements and keep you regular with 48-72 hours. The cereal is 3/4 cup Kashi Honey Almond Flax and 1/4 cup Kellogs Bran Buds cereals with a tablespoon of smuckers simply strawberry and lactose fat free milk "Purple Great Value". Eat this combination every day or night "before full sleep". Drink about 7 more cups or 56 oz or 3.5 16 oz bottled waters more liquid per day then you are getting from your canned drinks. Decrease rice intake and replace about half with the cereal combination. Reduce whole wheat bread for snacks and increase your intake of fruit pectin from whole fruits like "some better choices" apples, oranges, grapes, bananas, high pectin and low seed type fruits. After those changes you should regulate within a few days. If it does not resolve, see a doctor and I honestly would either way. Reduce laxatives and change diet. I hope this helps you. Joe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.