Faecal impaction

Posted , 3 users are following.

I desperately need some help! I started with constipation 5 months ago. I've been prescribed several different laxatives, I've had 3 enemas. I've been up to A&E 7 times due to the pain. I was admitted once and spent 15 days in hospital being given laxatives. I opened my bowel (very watery) and was discharged even though I was still in a lot of pain. I've once again been put on laxatives (Movicol) but told to take it gradually (start of 2 sachets a day and on the forth day take the max 8 sachets a day for 5 days). I am in agony with the pains in my back, pelvic area and thighs (as well as my stomach). I have a follow up consultation with the Gastro consultant in 5 weeks time but don't feel like I can cope with the pains much longer. I had to see someone from the crisis team recently as I was considering taking my own life just to be free from the pain. I'm currently taking Pregabalin for the pain and to help me sleep but it doesn't do anything for the pain. My question is ... if the Movicol treatment doesn't work what are my options? I really can't cope for much longer I'm lied here crying with the pain in my back. Please can anyone help advise me. Thank you

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What is your diet like? Have you tried consuming some oil and stomach massages? Hank

• Edited

Hi Hank thank you for your reply. My diet is ok as I'm diabetic so have to be careful what I eat. I've tried massaging my stomach and also had oil based supplements. The main bulk if the pain is in my back and sides ... it can be agonising! The course I'm currently taking is 8 sachets of Movicol a day for 5 days (I'm on day 3). I've been to the toilet but it's very watery. Everything I've taken so far hasn't worked. and I've been given a lot of different laxative treatments.

• Edited

How I do it is I have 2 spoons of oil 1st thing in the morning. The oil helps to lubricate the colon. After that I drank a glass of warm lemon water before breakfast. After breakfast, I drink a glass of coffee. After that I walk around For 10- 15 minutes during which I massage my stomach gently. Make sure you massage your stomach correctly for constipation, not just random massage. After that I go to the bathroom, urge or no urge.

Stay off high fiber diet until you rid of the impaction, otherwise it will be worse. You might want to have all liquid diet for a while. Drink plenty of fluid and try to be up and around more. Hope this helps. Hank

• Edited

Hi Joanne ,

Are you on any meds for something else , have you had a scan of your bowel , to look for a twisted bowel ,

• Posted

Hi Anthony

Thank you for your reply. The only thing I take is insulin no other meds. I've had CT scans but nothing has shown on them. An x-ray showed that my stomach is full of a faecal mass. I've got a consultation with a Gastro consultant next week to talk about other options as I've pretty much exhausted laxatives and stool softeners. The pain is horrendous I'm getting striking pains in my back and side and pains in my stomach and legs. I've tried all advice on food and I've tried a variety of medications but nothing has worked. I really am at the end of my tether with it

• Posted

Hi Joanne,

Insulin i think make muscles not work so good , even stomach , bowel , this just me but what if the Parasympathetic nerve system also not working , The Vagus Nerve , that thing needs Choline , according to Dr Google web pages . The Vagus Nerve is full of Choline, have a read about that nerve system , i believe it works without any input by from the brain it just knows when and how to do its job , It is the longest nerve in the body , I myself just been taking some Choline and been pooping very good after took for a few days , i don't think it would do any harm but maybe ask the consultant first .

• Posted

Very interesting! How much Coline are you taking? Also, how and when? Thanks. Hank

• Posted

I mean Choline. Hanks

• Posted

Hi Hank

i have only just been taking a bout 6 days , but in that time pooing sometimes twice a day two 1500mg plus a Betaine tablet , me not sure if the betaine is doing it , but according to net betaine is a methyl thing , making the Choline Acetylcholine , In my head the Vagus nerve needs Choline to work , and the Vagus nerve operates peristalsis of the bowel , All this might be completely wrong but up to now its working , but for how long is anybody's guess, when over the years tried most things even seaweed soap ( yes i know stupid) but at the time no internet (the Welch version of Preperation H) to ease poo out,lol

• Posted

H hank

just type in Does the vagus nerve have Choline in it , see what you think ,

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

Are you also taking insulin? What I mean is, do you need choline only because you are taking insulin? Regardless, I think I am going to try it , taking some choline supplement to see if it helps. Wow! 3000mg is quite a bit of choline. When are you taking it? I am regular now with all the tricks that I am trying. The problem is I still have to strain quite a bit to get the stupid stool come out. I will look into Betaine. Thanks again. Hank

• Posted

Hi hank

what side of the bed do you sleep Left/right , areyou a side sleeper .

I have never thought of this before now , but seeing that the parasympathetic nerve (vagus nerve) is only on the left side of the neck ,

wonder if the pillow could block the the vagus nerve , and that nerve is needed for peristalsis of the bowel plus quite few things, saliva of mouth, etc etc .

• Posted

Another thought provoking idea! When I go to sleep, I try to fall asleep with all different positions but usually waking up in the morning on my back, slightly leaning to the right.

About betaine, I read that betaine HCL is good for people with low stomach acid. Maybe it is why it helps with your digestion, therefore constipation. I'll try it. It won't hurt. Hank

• Posted

Since you seem to know chemistry, do you know why many places are selling choline together with inositol? Should we take this instead of just choline? Hank

• Posted

Hi Anthony, what are the brand names of the choline and betaine you're taking? I would like to take the same things so we can have a more scientific result. 😀 Hank

• Posted

Hi hank

Me chemistry ha ha ha , can barley read , but Dr Google pretty good at it, left school at 14 straight to work , so not much education plus two year in hospital TB as a kid. i am only copying what been reading on Google.

• Posted

This what happens on lock down not much to do , tv all repeats or bake off .etc etc ,lol

Made sure both my kids had good education though

• Posted

Hi Joanna

are you a side sleeper do you sleep on the left side the Vagus nerve side that runs down your neck and starts near left ear hole, just maybe it blocks the parasympathetic nerve with the pillow , just a wild idea

• Posted

You could have fooled me. I thought for sure that you are either a chemist or a college professor. I guess nowadays you can have good education without the need for schools. Hank

• Posted

Hi Anthony, what are the brand names of the choline and betaine you're taking? I would like to take the same things so we can have a more scientific result. 😀 Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank , they say even a monkey can master a computer if given long enough ,

Even Koba planet of the apes .lol , i had about two years sat here , plus just found something very interesting just this morning ,Peirson Center for Children

• Posted

Hi Hank

it seems choline not very well absorbed if lot of yeast in the body, plus need plenty of B vitamins B1 the most , the Peirson center is about acytle choline in adults ,not just downs syndrome children.

• Edited

Hank , Think i went OTT with 3000 mg , made my pupil's in eyes swell like dinner plates , plus not stopped peeing, so i have cut back to 750 mg plus one B1 tablet, i have just broke one of the 1500 choline tablets in half, have you looked at parasympathetic nerve about peristalsis of the bowel .

• Posted

Hi hank ,just discovered Cosmocol the stool softner , the active ingredient Macrogol is a synthetic version of Castor Oil.

• Posted

Thanks Anthony for letting me know the side effects of getting too much Choline. Choline is good for the eyes but too much of a good thing can be a problem. Eyes as big as in the plates? Wow! They would be good for Halloween. 😀

As far as macrogol, it is a common laxative with polyethylene glycol in brand names like Miralax and Movicol, etc. It is not the same as castor oil. Hank

• Posted

"parasympathetic nerve about peristalsis of the bowel.

The parasympathetic nervous system controls processes in the body such as digestion, repair and relaxation. When the parasympathetic nervous system is dominant in the body it conserves energy, slows heart rate, increases digestion and relaxes sphincter muscles in the digestive tract."

Is this a quiz?

As far as I understand it, sympathetic nervous system is bad for the peristalsis and the parasympathetic is good. Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank

I don't know what part of the world you are in, but here in UK , there as just been a section in the Daily Mail about the Vagus Nerve , but nothing about Acetylcholine .

• Posted

Hi Anthony, I am in the US. There's nothing mentioned about Vagus nerve and acetylcholine. Everything I learned here is from you, professor. 😀Hank

• Posted

I am trying out Citrucel in the morning. It is a form of methylcellulose fiber. I'll find out in few days and let you know the result. Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.