Chronic constipation for 4 years

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all. I am a 28 year old female that has been chronically constipated for the past 4 years. I have had 3 CT scans and all had come out clear. In early 2020 I was only passing a bowel movement twice a week. In November of 2020, my movements completely stopped. None of this was new to me, because I went years without going to the restroom without some sort of help. I took all types of laxatives and stool softeners. Currently, I take miralax everyday. I think my constipation is worsening, and I was finally referred to a GI, and they decided to schedule a colonoscopy. I am trying to seek answers because I am worried of what Miralax can do long term to me.

Besides being constipated, I have recently started feeling a new burning, dull sensation in my stomach. I am wondering if this is because of my constipation, or perhaps I have developed GERD or acid reflux.

This is a long shot, but has anyone here dealt with chronic constipation for years? It has deteriorated my quality of life greatly, and I can never speak to someone who understands how I feel. I feel like I am a constant burden to my boyfriend and mother.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

I see your post was a few weeks ago, have you had your colonoscopy or any other tests?

I've suffered with bouts of constipation on and off for most of my life but like you in the last few years it's become a lot worse and the last serious bout causes some horrendous haemorrhoids which aren't going away. My doctor prescribed me laxido which if anything i feel has made things worse not better. I totally empathise with you wanting someone to understand what it feels like, for people who have never suffered like this they truly don't understand what it's like both physically and emotionally and suggestions like 'drink more water and increase your fibre' is very demoralising. I hope your doctor can find you a solution.

• Edited

I totally agree! I drink a ton of water a day but when I eat fibre it only makes me bloated and gassy and does not help whatsoever! I have tried to tell this to my GI but it seems to go unheard. Not everyone can have a ton of fibre but it seems to be the standard answer. I have had CT scans, a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy and all normal. My digestion rate is also normal. I even had an Anal Manometry and that came back in the "normal" range. I have tried EVERY type of IBS medication out there and nothing is working. Linzess worked for a while but in January of 2018 it just stopped for no reason. I am lucky if I have a bowel movement once a week unless I take something like Senakot, which I know is not good for me but it seems to be the only thing that works (but not every time). I am on a very small amount of hydrocodone 5/325, 1x that I take at night only to help lessen the pain so I can sleep (I have constant knee pain from 8 knee surgeries and neck pain from a car accident a while back, where I had to have a disc fusion). I was told that this was causing my issues and I have tried to cut the dose in half but then the pain is so much worse. I don't know what else to do at this point and I can't imagine that small amount of pain meds is causing the issue.

• Posted

Blondie,

Remember that castor oil is the only laxative that will not work in the intestines by irritating them, but by activating and synthesizing certain substances in the human body. So any habituation of the human body or diminishing laxative effect is absolutely impossible. Now I am taking castor oil since August 1992 - this always with the best results.

• Posted

I suffered three years, the urge to go basically wasn't there, my doctor tried everything from stool softener, Lactulose, it was a home remedy that cured me, primal as it may sound it works, I smoke two cigarettes in the morning, (I was a non smoker at the time), and every day it gives me the urge to go without hesitation, almost instantaneously, obviously cigarettes are unhealthy but if you limit yourself to just a few a day there is no risk, I've been doing this for over a year now and sometimes I'll use a little Lactulose the evening before if i feel i may be getting a little bloated...

After reading your testimony I completely understand how it feels

God bless you...

R

• Posted

Castor Oil will not work directly in your intestines by irritating them like all the other laxatives but indirectly by activating and synthesizing certain substances in the human body. So, in no case a habituation in moving the bowels by swallowing Castor Oil will be possible. In order to cleanse the bowels by swallowing Castor Oil you should take an adequate dose: the Russian popular medicine recommends one milliliter Castor Oil per one kilogramm of the weight of the human body; e. g. 60 kg --> 60 ml (= 2 oz), this taken the best early in the morning, not having breakfasted, together with the double amount of tomato juice. Normally 1 to 2 hours after having gulped your dose of Castor Oil the first evacuations will begin.

• Posted

You will have to live with your chronic constipation by cleansing your bowels regularly in an effective manner. I know from my own experience that swallowing Castor Oil is superb.

Castor Oil will not work directly in your intestines by irritating them like all the other laxatives but indirectly by activating and synthesizing certain substances in the human body. So, in no case a habituation in moving the bowels by swallowing Castor Oil will be possible. In order to cleanse the bowels by swallowing Castor Oil you should take an adequate dose: the Russian popular medicine recommends one milliliter Castor Oil per one kilogramm of the weight of the human body; e. g. 60 kg --> 60 ml (= 2 oz), this taken the best early in the morning, not having breakfasted, together with the double amount of tomato juice. Normally 1 to 2 hours after having gulped your dose of Castor Oil the first evacuations will begin. Moving the bowels by swallowing Castor Oil is very different from one person to the other, for this depends exclusively of the amount of the toxins deliberated by this stuff in the liver: In the case that your liver will be free from all toxins, moving the bowels by gulping Castor Oil will occur harmless and in a short time, in the contrast this will be harmfull with cramps in your bowels and allergic reactions in your anal region, this continuing for hours. So, all these attendant symptoms have not the cause in Castor Oil but in the poisoning of the human body: It will be necessary to repeat this as soon as possible.

• Edited

hullo Sylvia

Im nearly 74 & had this for a long time

I have been on Movicol for 20 years ...how much do you take?I try to manage with 1 sachet but have alot of trouble with bloating/ pain /gut moves every other day....Your GI should give you a MOTILITY TEST and /or put you on Prucalopride or Linzess...they give you diarrohea for a week.....They make me ill all over so Im stuck.

I use ground flax seeds which suit me better than fibrogel. Most drugs give me side effects so Im stuck.

I try to mange on a low dose of COCODAMOL but like with you its constipatiing.

I hope we support each other if nothing else.

regards

• Posted

I suffered three years, the urge to go basically wasn't there, my doctor tried everything from stool softener,to Lactulose, it was a home remedy that cured me, primal as it may sound it works, I smoke two cigarettes in the morning, (I was a non smoker at the time), and every day it gives me the urge to go without hesitation, sometimes instantaneously, obviously cigarettes are unhealthy but if you limit yourself to just a few a day there is no risk, I've been doing this for over a year now and sometimes I'll use a little Lactulose the evening before if i feel i may be getting a little bloated...

I haven't suffered since

God bless you...

R

• Posted

I suffered three years, the urge to go basically wasn't there, my doctor tried everything from stool softener, Lactulose, it was a home remedy that cured me, primal as it may sound it works, I smoke two cigarettes in the morning, (I was a non smoker at the time), and every day it gives me the urge to go without hesitation, almost instantaneously, obviously cigarettes are unhealthy but if you limit yourself to just a few a day there is no risk, I've been doing this for over a year now and sometimes I'll use a little Lactulose the evening before if i feel i may be getting a little bloated...

Whatever is in the cigarette smoke is what stimulates, I've vaped at the time and it contained nicotine but it didn't do anything to help my situation, it's definitely the cigarette, many smokers who are not suffering from Constipation will also tell you that when they do have a cigarette in the mornings it's causes them to go, that's pretty extraordinary considering that all the medications I was given did not help

• Edited

I have been a sufferer of constipation since I was a boy. I am now 65 years old and have Parkinson for 15 years. As I am aware, most patients of Parkinson usually have constipation and I am not an exception.

My constipation symptoms has been deteriorating as my age grows and my stool has grown drier, harder and thicker and more and more difficult to pass out. Everyday is a struggle.

I was determined to rid of this unrelenting problem and live a happy life. Therefore I embarked on a game changing plan.

1. Exercise

I understand that exercise is the source of improving our overall well being, and constipation is a sickness of the bowel; a sickness of the digestive system. To find an exercise that targets the bowel is crucial. This exercise must be simple, practical, and readily available to everyone and to me I have settled on walking. Lately, I have picked up walking 45 mins. to 60 mins each day as the exercise to fight the sickness, and the result has been promising. At the end of my walk each day, the urge of pooing would come back, which urge I have lost long time ago.

2. Avoid constipating food

Many food are not conducive to my health and may cause constipation. Make sure I don’t consume any such food, and I can always Google to find out which food I should take and which not.

3.The crucial food

One crucial food one must take to rid constipation is food containing high fibre. To me, this is the most important step to take among all others. Every morning for breakfast I will take a good portion of all bran high fibre cereal with almond milk. And each meal I take during the day, I will follow by one generous portion of all bran high fibre cereal with almond milk. This ensures that all food I intake the whole day are all fibrous. I do not use dairy milk in the cereal nor adding sugar as both may cause constipation.

4.Posture in pooing

The importance of posture in pooing is to effectively pass out the poo. When sitting on the toilet, use a small stool about 8 inches high to rest my soles on. Then grab my knees with both hands, then inhale while pressing my body down on my thigh and slowly pulling the knees towards me. I may need to repeat this sequence. This will reduce the space in my abdomen squeezing the poo out. Alternatively I can grab my legs near my ankles.

1. Keep Hydrated

Keep my bowel hydrated to eliminate dry poo by drinking not less than 6 glasses of warm water a day.

After following my game plan as detailed above, I am now at last free of constipation and I am confident that if you follow it, you would similarly rid of constipation soon. Don’t forget you have to get rid of your current plug first before this new approach effectively sets in. So be patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.