advice on shoes after bunion and hammer toe surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello I had bunion and hammer toe surgery two weeks ago. I am told I should be coming out of the walker boot in two weeks time and wondered if anyone had any suggestions about footwear as my foot is still quite swollen. Also am a bit concerned as the hammer toes I had done aren't touching the floor when I stand. Does anyone know if this improves with time? I hope so. John

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Try Teva active sandals, they have a wide base and small straps with Velcro.  I weaned my foot off the wedge at three weeks and these sandal were soooooooo comfortable, they were particularly good because I had to keep the pin in my hammer toe for a further few weeks.  I still wear them at nearly ten weeks, luckily it's warmer now with summer on way.  I cant bear to cover my toes like others do with extra size trainers.
  • Posted

John just replied to one of your earlier posts do you think your toe is not touching the ground because of the problem with the implant? 

Have you put these questions to your surgeon?

Im not sure what shoes to wear but i would think not to tight.

• Posted

John, I went to physical therapy to help with the mobility in my toes. Try picking up marbles with your toes to get the moving, but it still may be too soon for that. It is 3 months since my surgery and I still have some swelling. Keep elevating. I wore sneakers up till 12 weeks and still can't get into some of my shoes
  • Posted

Hi John. I've seen a couple of your older posts. So sorry you have a hitch with your recovery.  Your surgeon's reputable and well regarded so I'm you're getting good care and advice and hopefully things will resolve well for you. Rest and give yourself a break! As for shoes, my surgeon asks his patients to wear trainers until sign off ( 3 months) as they support your foot and help you to roll your foot as you walk. They've been really comfortable, so much so I'm having to wean myself off them!! Important for me too was they are quite protective, I was always fearful that someone might accidentally stand on my foot!

Wishing you well with your recovery John. 

• Posted

John, what are "trainers"? I had a lapidus bunionectomy and hammertoe correction 12 weeks ago and am into my 6th week of PT. My surgeon says I can go back to the gym, so I would like to find a shoe that will accommodate my repaired foot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.