Advice on side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been on Velafaxine 70mg per day for 5 days for severe anxiety and depression. It's not working yet, I didn't expect it to, but I'm having problems with what I assume to be a side effect. I'm getting flu-like symptoms, severe headache, chills and sweats, general malaise and it's not helping my anxiety. Last time I saw my doctor (before these symptoms became so apparent) she suggested raing the dose to 140mg per day after one week. I have three questions: -

Has anyone else suffered these symptoms?

How long do they last?

Will increasing the dose make the symptoms worse?

Many thanks,

Mike

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I did get severe side affects. I couldn't leave the house with out help as I was so spaced out and dizzy. My head felt very heavy. They were frightening side effects. But on the 8th day I woke up and they were almost gone. I imagine it's just your bodies way of getting used to them. Have you checked the patient leaflet to see if your side effects are common.

I'm not sure about putting your dose up so quickly. If it was me I would get a second opinion.

• Posted

I just want to add that venlafaxine do take a wile to start working. Can be as little as 2 weeks and up to 6-8 weeks. It's a brilliant anti depressents but the process is slow. Worth it once they do kick in.

• Posted

Many thanks Joanna, that's very reassuring - I can cope for 8 days! I have been on Venlafaxine before, many years ago, I don't remember having such a bad reaction then. Hoping they work somewhat quicker than 6 - 8 weeks though!

• Posted

It is slow going but you will slowly notice yourself feeling better. Hopefully in about a week you will start feeling little changes.
  • Posted

Hi Mike

I had the same symptoms when I started venlafaxine 75mg XL after been on them four weeks my doc decided that seeing I still had anxiety to increase the dose to 150 mg XL , for two weeks I had horrible side effects , shivers , night sweats and very shaken and low mood , but it did pass , I was on the 150 for one month then Gp advised another small increase of 75.5mg last week , so the key Mike is persevere I was given diazepam 2mg two weeks ago due to the anxiety level I was experiencing but I only took them when anxiety was really bad , I only took about one a day for four days , I really hope that the horrible side effects will pass like mine did , all the very best

Regards Catherine

• Posted

Just noticed Mike I said the increase was 75.5 mg of venlafaxine when in fact it was 37.5mg sorry for mistake

Regards Catherine

• Posted

Hi Mike sorry all is not well with you I used Venlafaxine over two and a half years for depression. The side-effects.were mostly strange 'zappings' in the brain which didn't go on for long I did have a bit of an over-eating problem which I notice has gone since I am no longer on these meds the treatment certainly got me back to my happier self All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.