Advice on spontaneous pneumothorax

Posted , 5 users are following.

Visited A&E yesterday with chest pain identical to the pain I had a while back when I had a pneumothorax on my right side. This pain is now on the left. X-ray showed a small pneumothorax, no chest drain needed and was sent home with the advice that I was to return if I felt worse. This morning, the pain is a little worse, lying down is almost impossible but I am reluctant to return to the hospital in case they tell me nothing has changed and send me home again. I am scared of wasting their time. Any advice? I should also say that I have had three pneumothoraces on my right side and have had vats surgery to fix it. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Very sorry to hear about to billateral recurrence. It has unfortunately happened to me as well 22 months after I had VATS on the other side (left side). I have chosen to do VATS on the right side as well as soon as it happened although it was only a 15% colapse. 

How long apart is yours? Have you ever been smoking? Are you still? 

Please don't be scared of wasting the doctor's time, just go to A&E. It's encouraged to be sure (by the doctors as well) and it's the best course of action to take. It's hard to tell by yourself whether it has gotten worse or not.

It is unfortunately a possibility that you might need to have VATS done on your left side as well if you have bullae there. 

Please have it checked and keep us posted.

Best of luck!

• Posted

My advice to you would be to listen to your body. Never be afraid to waste their time. If you feel something is wrong have it seen about. Your life is way more important than their pride. No one is going to take care of you like you. Get it check out please. God bless.
  • Posted

Each time my daughter has had a small pneumothorax, they do X-rays the next day to be sure it is moving in the right direction. 
  • Posted

Susan,

Although my first pneumothorax incidents were started from a car accident and not spontaneous, the way the male nurse treated the injury taught me that it was NOTHING to be ignored. The minute he recognized what it was, they literally RAN my gurney down the hall to surgery. Of course my lung collapsed again two days later and I needed surgery again.

Susan, do not worry what they think, please. They took an oath to take care of you. A pneumothorax is a life threatening situation.

Go to the hospital and ease your mind.

God bless you. You are in our prayers.

Carol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.