advice on stopping mirtazapine after 3 weeks on 15mg please?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I've been taking 15mg of mirtazapine for three weeks after being talked into taking it (I wasn't happy to do so but was told by the doc I wouldn't be offered any other help unless I took them) I'm really not happy about taking them and the side effects are too much for me - I'm sleeping at least 11hrs a day (even though I struggle to get to sleep and when I finally do I'm having bad dreams and half waking every few hours) and spending the rest of the time exhausted so can't get anything done. I've also had a constant headache, aching muscles and joints, weight gain and I'm pretty much just feeling worse. I know it's only been been three weeks and I'll be told to give them a chance but I want off of this drug before I'm miserably stuck on it so please don't advise me to take it for longer or up my dose because I'm adamant I'm stopping it.

So basically what I am after is some advice about how to stop taking it please. Will I need to do a slow taper or will that make things worse? I have a massive phobia of vomiting (including feeling nauseous) so this is a big big worry for me and if there's a way I can avoid this as a withdrawal effect I'd love to know.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense - my head is so fuzzy! Any help or reassurance would be really appreciated. Thanks (:

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sophie - just come right off them. 3 weeks @ 15mgs is no time at all, and though there may be a little discomfort as your body readjusts, it will pass quickly. The other thing to consider is that if the patient is reluctant with meds the outcome will not be as positive as one who is indifferent. I would suggest you get another doc, too. Threatening you because you are concerned about meds is not good practice and I would be concerned with his motives behind that. Further, there are many meds on the market for depression and it is not a one-size-fits-all approach. Something more suited is out there somewhere. Best of luck to you whatever you decide, we are always here to talk, and you are not alone.
    • Posted

Hey thanks for your reply - I'm apprehensive to just quit them. I know it hasn't been long but my body seems super sensitive to any medication and the fear of any withdrawal is strong - which I know will probably make it worse! I begged my GP for antiemetics today, not until I was crying and shaking would she reluctantly prescribe a small amount so I didn't even bother asking if I could have something short term for the anxiety.

As for seeing another psychiatrist I don't think it's an option - the system in the UK makes it difficult - I've had to wait over 3 months to finally see this one.

Anyway sorry I'm rambling! Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

• Posted

Cut down to 7.5 for 2 weeks then come off prepare for insomia and nausea, use zofran for nausea for the day and ohenergan and melatonin and Benadryl for sleep smile
    • Posted

Hey thanks for the advice - unfortunately the UK seem to have a stick up their arse when it comes to most medications so it'll just be benadryl helping me sleep! Like I said in my reply above I've managed to beg a doctor for some stemetil for the nausea but they wouldn't give me much sad

I know everyone is different but could you give me a rough guess at how long the withdrawal effects (especially the nausea) are likely to last? I'm seriously dreading it because of my stupid phobia. Hoping it won't be long as I've only been taking the low dose for a few weeks? Thank you again smile

• Posted

hi sophie. i know it was a long time ago but did you just quit 15g and feel ok? im in the same boat at moment xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.