Advice on switching anti depressant

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all ! Sorry I'm new to this so bear with me. I've been depressed and anxious for years now and not really done anything about it till 4 months ago when it was just getting too much and people were really noticing and it was effecting my work. I've been taking Prozac prescribed by the doctor, 20mg at first then 40mg two months later, side effects were pretty grim but I'm over them now, I have been seeing a counsellor weekly and doing the cbt but it's not making any difference to me. Twice now I've had to go back to the doctor for Valium because I've been shaking and slurring my words and in total panick state. I feel like the Prozac has helped in some ways like the fact I can manage to do my hair in the morning now and I feel more up for going out but I'm still not good at it and last time I went I was hyper and broke two ribs so it's really set me back from wanting to go out because I feel I can't be trusted to behave normally ! I've been very tearful last few months, I wasn't before I started the meds but I was completely numb and wasn't really here to be honest I didn't feel anything at all. On month four I thought I would be feeling tons better but my nearest and dearest say they think Prozac is making me worse so I have an appointment at the doctors tomorrow because I'm thinking of switching meds, or maybe adding something to it. I've gained 10lbs too because I'm craving sweet constantly , I have massive hang ups about my weight and this is probably my worst nightmare putting weight on... I even stopped taking my Prozac last week cos it was bothering me so much ! Any one got any advice on a good medication that works quickly and will keep my weight in check as well as a smile on my face ?? Thank you , look forward to hearing any advice at all cos I'm lost at the mo !

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Nicky

Unfortunately a lot of meds don't help with our weight. I have put on weight with my meds. Drugs effect everybody differently and i hhave come to the conclusion that its if the meds help with our depression then it is the lesser of the two evils. Hope you get on okay at the drs. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hiya, I didn't do anything about the way I was feeling because I knew I would put weight on, one of the reasons I am the way i am is because of weight issues. I'm lower now than when i was before the meds so that's why I'm concerned about changing to a different one and that being the same, the last 4 months have been hell and I'm driving myself even more crazy because I'm obsessing about why I'm not feeling better and feeling fat and uncomfortable in my own skin is the last thing I need right now. I need an antidepressant that works not one that just puts weight on. Which ones have you tried and what works for you ? I'm currently on Prozac and diazepam.

Any advice would be appreciated !

Hops your well

• Posted

Hiya, I didn't do anything about the way I was feeling because I knew I would put weight on, one of the reasons I am the way i am is because of weight issues. I'm lower now than when i was before the meds so that's why I'm concerned about changing to a different one and that being the same, the last 4 months have been hell and I'm driving myself even more crazy because I'm obsessing about why I'm not feeling better and feeling fat and uncomfortable in my own skin is the last thing I need right now. I need an antidepressant that works not one that just puts weight on. Which ones have you tried and what works for you ? I'm currently on Prozac and diazepam.

Any advice would be appreciated !

Hops your well

• Posted

Hello Nicky, I understand what you are saying as I feel the same with my weight. I have been on prozac before and I didn't put weight on with them. I haven't tried Diazapan. I have been on Citalopran and initially in lost weight because I couldn't eat much until they kicked in and then the weight started piling on and I was only eating the same.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi, As I understand, these drugs which work for mental issues all take about 6 weeks before producing the desired effect. Unfortunately, this 'wait & see' period is not easy to do,, because one is insuch a bad place, even more if they add really bad effects which weren't there before. To  changie can extend the agony, but, sometimes, the GP suggests a change after listening to you. It is a difficult and individual call, but it must come from talking about it with your GP.

Best wishes with your situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.