Advice on taking Co codamol 30/500

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi 

I have recently had a rather bad time after being prescribed naproxen for a long term shoulder and neck problem. I never use pain relief other than paracetamol and ibruprophen on occasions when needed. However, because this pain became quite severe, and actually triggered anxiety which I only get if I’m poorly and my body is reacting weirdly. I was put on naproxen. Now I only actually took two tablets. 1 with lunch and 1 with dinner 4 days ago. However the day after I was in severe pain due to it inflaming my stomach lining. I’m still experiencing side effects 4 days later, indigestion, nausea, back pain, diarrhoea and headaches as well as anxiety. Tighteng of chest. I have been given co codamol instead of naproxen now as I choose to stop taking it. But now I’m to scared to take it in case I get other debilitating side effects. I have two young children and can’t chance being unable to care for them properly if I’m very poorly. However my back pain is still there and my shoulder and neck pain is still causing me some trouble. I’m due a steroid injection on Wednesday. So what I’m asking is, do you think I should just try to beat through the pain and just stick to paracetamol and ibruprophen? Or do you think that the co codamol will help me better? Is it worth the risk?  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If I was up in would try and stick out the pain until you get your injection because if u read these posts u will see how easy it is to become addicted to cocodomol and I'm speaking from personal experience as well x

• Posted

Hi Hannah. Since I posted this, I had a really bad reaction again to the anti inflammatory ibruprophen which gave me severe middle back pain. I had a low onset panic attack due to it, so was advised to take it. I took 1 at 6pm yesterday, another at 10:30pm. I was also prescribed the omeprazole to help with my stomach lining which I have to take once a day. Today I have had 1 cocodamol at 7:30am and another 6 hours later at 1:30pm. I’m going to have one more today before bed then tomorrow if I have a good day today I may try to switch back to just paracetamol. But I think it’s not actually doing me any good putting up with the pain as it is triggering very horrible anxiety. However I am approaching with caution as you can imagine. But so far I have been ok. Thank you for the reply. 
    • Posted

Oh also to add to that. Apparently it’s easier to become addicted to it if you take it for longer than 3 days. My appointment is on Wednesday so only technically 3 days at most I’ll need it anyway. So fingers crossed the steroid injection works it’s magic and I don’t need any pain meds after that. 
  • Posted

IT must be said that not everybody gets addicted to co-codamol. I was put on it after nurofen caused stomach problems and have been on it 10 years. I am on 30/500 and mostly take 2 tablets two times per day, except when the pain is really bad when I might go up to 4 times per day. I have not had any side effects other than constipation for which I take lactulise.  I know I am definitely not addicted to co-codamol because 3 times in the last year I have had to stop taking them for a week because I was in hospital, and I have never suffered withdrawal symptoms

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.