Advice on testing for Celiac Disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask some advice if anyone is able to help me.

To cut a long story really short I've been having a lot of gastro problems for about 6 years along with a lot of other symptoms and issues, some of which i've sorted (diagnosed lactose intolerant, small intestinal bacteria overgrowth, underactive thyroid) and others just seem to be ongoing.

Last year I was tested for Celiac Disease, the results of which came back negative - however I was not told by my GP at the time that I needed to have been consuming Gluten for the test to be a true result, i then realised I had eliminated gluten for about 3 months so it's no surprise I guess that the test was negative.

Since then i've been eating more gluten and have started to feel quite unwell at times, it was recommended that I have a retest for Celiac Disease, i've got the blood test in the next few days. I've been eating a heavy gluten filled diet for 8 weeks to make sure it is in my system (and feeling pretty awful at times)

I wanted to ask if I need to continue eating Gluten after having the blood test done and whilst i'm waiting for the results to come back in case I need to have an endoscopy? Or if I stop eating gluten after the blood test will an endoscopy still show the damage from Celiac disease?

If anyone is able to give any advice that would be so much appreciated

Many Thanks

Michelle

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

They do want you to keep consuming gluten before the biopsy, but I already had my son off of gluten for 6 weeks and did not do that and it still showed up on the endoscopy. It probably depends on how much damage its causing and can be different for everyone. If you can just eat a cracker a day, thats what we were told for 2 weeks prior. They might want you to do longer but that was all the time we had between the consult for the endoscopy and the procedure.

Hope you feel better soon and get this figured out, it is frustrating... and even if you come back negative, since you feel better without then just stay off it.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply and advice, i'll keep trickling a bit of gluten in each day then to be on the safe side! I never thought I would be so glad to say goodbye to eating bread and all things gluten!! I definitely will be staying off of it even if the test is negative, it's amazing how many issues it can cause!
  • Posted

Unfortunately, as you/ve been told, you must eat just a little gluten every day, not only until your endoscopy but until the results are known. Then I'm sure you'll find a glutenfree diet (and maybe lactofree too?) will make you feel much much better. As you say, even if the results are negative, if the GF diet makes you well its only good sense to stick to it! You will find you get more sensitive to gluten after you've been on the diet for a few months though.
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I've since had the results of my blood test which came back negative for celiac disease, but i'm still going to choose to follow a gluten free diet and see how i get on smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.