Advice on the best anti depressant pills to take please

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone!  I am seeking advice please from anyone who feels they're able to help. I have been depressed now for about a year. I haven't yet been to my G.P but the time has come now when I think I should. I would like advice on what people think is the best anti depressant pills to take? If you have taken them have they worked for you? (I know everyone is different.) I've been reading up on some and the side effects etc are putting me off. I also really don't want things to get worse before they get better which is what is written about alot of the meds. Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Dolphin30

First thing you must do is see your GP and work from there. Don't read all meds info as some only Affect certain people. The meds I was on were changed and now I am on a low dose.

Seeing your GP may be all you need with referral to you local mental Health. You may just need counselling which will identify the cause of your depression doing that will determine the cause and action required.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and for your time. Much appreciated. 
  • Posted

Hi Dolphin as Phil says, the tablets work differently for everyone. So it could be you read all these side-effects but after taking the tablets, you feel much better and don't suffer any at all. Whilst others may try the same tablets and suffer horrendously, it really is trial and error I'm afraid. Sometimes you may get side-effects for the first week or two, but afterwards they go. But there are some things you can try first if you do get side-effects, before going back to the dr and asking to switch meds.

But the first line defence that dr's will try will probably by SSRI's -usually setraline or citalopram etc. But again depends on the severity of your depression as to what they start you on. Also, what things might be bothering you specifically, like if you are struggling to keep weight off, and you tell them that, they will try to factor that in when they prescribe a med to you - again all meds affect people differently, and dr's best intentions cannot make them psychic. It may be that they prescribe something they think has a low affect on weight, but for you, it may not be the right one. All you can do is try and see. The dr's are there to help so ask questions if you are unsure. Like if they say 'i'm going to prescribe....' you can ask them 'what are the side effects etc' and ask them about alternatives. They will give you a good reason hopefully, for the choice of med they choose to give you first to try smile

Good luck xxx

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to write such a long reply. I really appreciate it. 
  • Posted

It would be wrong of us to suggest what anti depressants are best for you.  What suits one person may not always suit another.  You must see a doctor and discuss this with him.  We are not medically qualified to give you this advice, and it would be wrong of us to do so.  I have been on some that gave me side effects that were difficult to deal with, and others that helped me a lot.

We are all unique.  Yes we all have depression, and you can come here for support, but I urge you to see a doctor if you want to be prescribed anti depressants.

• Posted

Anti depressents will only mask your issues. Depression is caused by emotional problems which can be fixed by changing the way you think.

I would strongly suggest seeing a councelling psychologist over using anti depressents. In the long run it will be much better for your life.

good luck

• Posted

As other have said, speak with you GP and they will help decide the best medication for you. 

As someone else points out they willnot cure it, for me they make it easier to deal with and allow me to function so I can have therapy and CBT to combat the major issues that cause. Do not let the thought of having to take medication put you off, I did for a long time but I am so glad I sought help and the Sertraline I take has been a miracle in the way it is helping me turn my life around.

Best of luck and stay strong

• Posted

Thanks. It's good to hear that the med really helped you.
  • Posted

Hi Dolphin,

I am sorry to hear that you have been feeling poorly and out of sorts. It can't have been easy over the last year. I'm replying to you some 7 days after your opening post. Events may have moved on from then and you may have been to see your GP.

Antidepressants are a very misunderstood product. Or I feel they are. At any level they seem to cause great confusion by those who use them and those who prescribe them.

The term antidepressant actually seems to imply that by taking them you will remove the clinical depression. When we think of an antibiotic we know that we take them for a week and the underlying infection will go.

If only antidepressants did the same.

If I recall correctly there are distinct classes of antidepressant. And let's make no mistake about it. These are powerful drugs. Any mind altering medication is.

SSRI's = Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor

SNRI's = Seratonin & Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor

NDRI's = Norepinephrine & Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor

Tricyclics = An older generation of antidepressant

MAOI's = Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors

Atypical = Medications that don't fall into the above

Not even those who research and make the medications really know exactly what is happening to make their medication reduce symptoms.

However, antidepressants have a place at the table and can often help. They are only one tool. There are other tools available to your GP or care team and they will use them as their experience dictates.

The most commonly prescribed antidepressant are the SSRI's. In general these have less side effects and are slightly more successful than the older tricyclics.

Where a GP feels they need to help with norepinephrine they may well prescribe Venlafaxine which is an SNRI. As a general rule SNRI's tend to be a little more difficult for the patient. They tend to be difficult to get on and to come off.

All this is very general.

The upshot is that your GP should ask you to answer some questions on a form. This will work out if you have symptoms of depression. Your GP will prescribe an antidepressant and ask you to come back in six weeks time. They may ask you to come back sooner if they feel it warrants.

Upon your return you will be asked to complete the same questionnaire. From this they should be able to see if the antidepressants have helped.

Without feedback from you your GP cannot know how successful the prescription they have given is. Based on this they can chose to change your prescription and try a different medication.

Often, if you do get side effects, these diminish with time.

What's needed to improve the processes overall outcome is high end communication.

If you feel you need to take an advocate with you when you see your GP take a close friend or husband/wife. Often they hear much more than the patient does. The patient, suffering with the symptoms of depression often cannot digest it all.

Nuttymut :-)

• Posted

Thanks. Although I posted this a week ago I still haven't been to my G.P. I'm still building up the courage and coming to terms with my depression. Thanks for taking the time to write me a message.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.