Advice on upper endoscopy please

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm putting off having upper endoscopy due to fear of choking n not being able to breathe please can ppl give me their experiences good or bad not too many scare stories please with sedation or without I'm not a lover of sedation tbh as I don't react well to it 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Please do not be put off by this procedure. For me there was one slightly uncomfortable moment, but nowhere near as uncomfortable as a camera in your bottom, and then after that the tube sits in the body surprisingly well. Yes I was surprised but it is true. 
  • Posted

Hi

I’ve had 2 in 10 years and was petrified at the first one as I wanted sedation but the nurse talked me into throat spray (it was 5pm and she wanted to go home I believe) anyway, I started walking out as I didn’t want to be awake and the surgeon ran after me and said sedation wouldn’t be a problem to do.  All I remember is them asking me to swallow and a slight bit of retching on it way out, apart from that I don’t remember anything. The one I had last year was pretty similar but I asked for more sedation as I was still aware at the beginning of procedure. Again, a little bit of retching on way out but I didn’t even know the camera was inside me both times.  There is no problem with breathing at all, and it only lasts a matter of minutes once they start. I have no issues with sedation and actually quite like it 🙂 if you are worried they will really reassure you that it will be fine. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.