Advice on using and choosing emu oil

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have read many times about the benefits of using emu oil but havent yet bought it as already use emolliants and thought this would be similar (and feel funny about where it comes from..).  However, I now think I should give it a try, I am in the UK and found an online shop selling 'pure emu oil' that looks legit, I know you are not meant to mention specific product names here but just wanted to ask if there are different types etc and anything in particular I should avoid/look out for? Thanks! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

There are emu farms around where I live and the meat and oil are sold.  I don't like the idea of killing animals but it is similar with lamb for the lanolin and the meat.  The emu oil is promoted for arthritis conditions as well as for the skin as it penetrates multiple layers of the skin. 

• Posted

I just bought one which said it was from organically farmed emu's...   I paid around £15 and it came from a website which has the name of a long river.

Its worked  fairly well, in as much as i no longer itch.     Are you a vegetarian or a vegan then?    If so, i can understand your reluctance to use emu oil,   I am neither veggie nor vegan and in a in a fight for meds and food, afraid it would be me, or whichever animal and i would fight dirty.

x

• Posted

Thanks both, yes am vegetarian but sometimes you have to be flexible rolleyes especially with medical things, good to hear they aren't just used for the oil anyway.  Do you mean the big river in Brazil? I have seen some there too and might order some.  Seeing as it looks kind of like an essential oil from some packaging do you find it stays on well, not too runny? Some other packages seem more like a cream but hard to tell. 

• Posted

Yep thats the correct country!       

The oil  gets thicker when its colder.....  But at room temperature its  about the consistency of olive oil.....     

X

• Posted

I would also like some help with this, where can you purchase emu oil in the uk. How often do you use the oil, do you use it neat or with a carrier oil, if so which one. Also, do you use with steroid cream 
    • Posted

I use the emu oil neat, twice a day, morning and evening and i donT use it on the nights i use steroid cream. ( couple of times a week if i need it).

bought online from a website with the same name as a long river.

• Posted

Ah thank you. Think the penny has dropped on the website smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.