Advice on what I should do with Sertraline and medications.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been on sertraline for over 3 years now....it's the only drug that seems to have worked decently for me, I was prescribed it when I was 24 and experiencing great loss in my life, and for panic and anxiety. (panic attacks were prevalent then and have lessened.) Last year, my (old) shrink took me off zoloft to try lexapro...within 2 months I was admitted into a hospital for calling a hotline after suicidal ideation that wasn't acted upon ...(thats a different story for how mental health is perceived in my state and country) but I think it's safe to say that what I experienced with lexapro was adverse and I did not react well anxiety got worse...sleep got worse.) So my new shrink put me back on Zoloft this past June....and I've been on it ever since. Now I think I am feeling some sort of plateau effect with it (Im on a 200mg dosage......) I am experiencing insomnia more than I ever had before, sweating at night if I do go to sleep (I am 5'6 120lbs) and overall jump in anxiety....I do drink sometimes which I know is not good to combine. I also take a very low dose of klonopin (.5mg) and I usually break them in half only when I feel I really need it during the week. I want to start to wean but I want to know what I am going to expect and if there are other things I can take that will help me with the side effects of weaning that I know I am going to experience. My doctor hopefully will have advice on how to properly do this....but unfortunately what I have found in this country is that doctors don't really have much advice, generally for you....they don't know how your brain is going to react and I am very scared to do this alone. My quality of life, the joy I experience is close to null even though I eat well and exercise....Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I would advise you do a very slow taper and don't rush off.No one can tell you how you are going to feel as everyone is different so just take it very slowly and give your brain time to heal.l don't know how often you take the benzo however I would advise you taper off it first.

• Posted

Thanks Marleen, I am down to a benzo a day which is approximate .5 mg........and last week I was talking half of the (.5) plus drinking caffeine to function in the day..and could feel the effects immediately. So since I'm prescribed .5 mg x2 a day I'm just going on one for now....Hopefully that works but the anxiety is relentless. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.