advice or info

Posted , 5 users are following.

diagnosed with moderate copd fev of 56 first test month later improved to 67 told by lung doc my lung function was near normal dont understand i thought copd only got worse i am battling anxiety and depression as my job requires a yearly physical and am scared of losing it and insurance anyone been through any thing simaler would like to hear any advice etc

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It can.improve a bit if on.correct meds. But gradually gets worse over decades.
    • Posted

thanks for your reply i have quit smoking dont have symptoms other than tire easily was diagnosed after a bad bout of pnumonia in hospital a week dont know if tiredness is related to copd or illness
    • Posted

Glad you stopped smoking that would help. Yes I get tired easily but if you were I'll then would make it worse.

• Posted

Hi I am going for my lung function test on April 4th.  I will ask about these numbers and will post them.  Please try to not worry - easier said than done.  I am a worrier as well.  The people on this site are more of a help than some doctors.  They have lived a long life and continue to do so.  
    • Posted

Hi Mark, apparently my lung test was "normal " ( whatever that means).  I need to do some blood work (my white cells were low).  I'll see my doctor after that and let you know.  Hope you're feeling better ??🇨🇦

• Posted

The spirometry results can fluctuate but that doesn't mean the lung damage improves, lung functioning can but the damage remains and can progress.

FEV 67% predicted for age is not normal, it is indicative of moderate, obstruction/restriction to airways.

for explanation of the spirometry you might want to look at this patient UK leaflet:

https://patient.info/health/spirometry-leaflet

Great you have stopped smoking, congratulations.

• Posted

Hi I had asthma for many years and was diagnosed with mild copd as well 9 years ago.  I finally got some proper treatment and my lung function went up 9 points.  The nurse said it was probably poorly controlled asthma and that I had just slipped out of the copd range. 

Previously my lung function was then considered normal (in the UK) at 73% but a few years ago they changed this criteria,  so although my fev1 is still in the mid 70's now I am diagnosed as just in the moderate range.  It hasn't changed in 9 years. 

The damage to your lungs doesn't improve over time but exercise can make your body use oxygen more efficiently so you feel as though it has. 

• Posted

how have you been able to maintain your fev1 so well thanks
  • Posted

I  don't think you should feel anxious or worrieed after all you had good news from your consultant, you seem to be rapidly improving.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.