Advice over having a gellhorn fitted

Posted , 4 users are following.

The next step for me is having a gellhorn fitted and I am feeling a little bit anxious. Has anyone had one and did it work when have had a hysterectomy.

Was it painful?  So many questions. 

I hope someone can answer for me..

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Putting it in - not painful.  Taking it out - ouch!!  At least, that was what I felt.  I had two attempts at getting used to a gellhorn.  They were both removed.  And yes, I have had a hysterectomy.  Apparently it is common for women who have had a hysterectomy not to be able to use the standard hard plastic pessaries.  As I said earlier, I now use sea sponges, they seem to work and I can put them in and take em out myself - a big plus!

Pam

• Posted

I'm not convinced that it will work for me as couldn't bear the rings I had put in.  But have to do something as in so much discomfort.

• Posted

My GP told me that ring pessaries were not useful for women who have had a hysterectomy, so I am surprised you had them fitted.  Maybe the gellhorn will be better?  I don't know but would suggest you give it a try.  

• Posted

I was told that too, but was suggested to try the ring ones as sometimes work.  I tried 4 different ones and none did the job...
  • Posted

I'm sorry, I have never heard of a gellhorn or a sea sponge.  Could someone explain?

• Posted

A gellhorn is another type of hard plastic pessary.  It has a spike sticking out from the centre which is used to help insert and remove it.  I had two of these fitted (at different times, of course!).  After the gellhorn, I had a shelf pessary fitted (twice again!).   A sea sponge is a natural sponge, harvested from the sea.  You cut it to size (takes a bit of experimentation to see which size is best) and insert and remove it yourself.  Seems to work pretty well once you find the right size, though it can be a so and so at times, slipping out and having to be re inserted.  I use either olive oil or Estriol cream to make insertion easier.  The sponge has to be removed after 8-10 hours max. and must be cleaned daily by soaking it briefly in a mixture of water, tea tree oil and a little bicarbonate of soda.  Needs dedication but worth it if the hard pessaries can't be tolerated.

Pam

p.s.  The sea sponges are a large size specially for prolapse and can be ordered on line.  Let me know if you need the name of the company I use!

• Posted

Thanks for the suggestion will keep it in mind in case the gellhorn doesn't work for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.