advice please :)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello so back in April 2015 I had a microdiscectomy on L5 S1....I think it was that one haha! Any how the disc above it was ever so slightly bulging but my surgeon said the chance of it bulging further was roughly 5% so he wasn't worried. Any how I am now 22 weeks pregnant and all of a sudden today I am in excruciating pain....the exact pain if not worse that I experienced before my operation...I knew I would have problems with pregnancy...but I'm not even really showing yet so wouldn't have thought it was baby and I just didn't expect the pain to be this bad all of a sudden...is it likely that my disc has bulged??? I will mention this to my GP but not sure they can do much whilst pregnant

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Very sorry to hear this Nicola.  I think you should get back to your same doctor and surgeon immediately, since they have your records, and get their opinions?  Did you get MRI's done, and can you get another?  It's hard to imagine sciatica and childbirth together.

Best wishes to you...

• Posted

Well I had the mri previous to the operation and that's it...but will they scan me whilst pregnant?? And also wouldn't the wait for an appointment with my surgeon again be rather long????
    • Posted

Maybe the old MRI can suffice.....  I wish I were a doctor but all I can think of is for you to stay calm and get someone close there that can help you.  Believe that it will work out for the best for you.  It seems too like they should recognize it as an extreme emergency case.

charley

• Posted

Mri scares me even though I have had 2 haha! Think it's the noise! The pain seems worse than before as well like my leg kind of gives way but not completely if that makes sense? I just found my letter that my surgeon sent to my old GP which I will take to my new GP stating to refer me if I had any problems!

It's just weird because I was fine and then I was sick on Friday (throwing up) and it's back again....maybe I herniated from being sick? ?

• Posted

I doubt any of us forget that pain that never stopped.  Can you maybe lie on your back near the couch and put your legs up on the couch seat to relieve the stress?  That was the only thing I've found that helps as first aid.

Do you have anyone with you to help?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.