Advice please.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I had total hip replacement surgery almost 6 months ago. Today I lost a filling from one of my teeth and was wondering if it warrants an urgent request for a dental appointment or if I could wait until after the weekend? I'm concerned about getting an infection on or around my new hip. 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Joy

I find this forum really helpful.  I have not had your problem but now an aware if I have any dental issues to speak to my surgeon first as well as the dentist.

Thanx

All the best.

• Posted

I am 8 weeks out from THR.  At my 6 week appointment with the orthopedic surgeon, I asked about whether I would need to take an antibiotic before dental work.  He said if it was work that caused bleeding, then I would need to take one antibiotic pill one hour before the procedure.  He said I would need to do this for that type of dental work for two years post surgery.  I was incredulous that he was saying just one pill one hour before the dental work.   Doesn't seem like one pill would do it, but that's the information he gave me.

• Posted

My dentist gave me 3 pills to take at once prior to my cleaning.  I thought the same thing.  I thought that it took several doses for anti-biotics to work.
  • Posted

My surgeon told me that I will need to take  antibiotics an hour before all dentist appointments for the rest of my life.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.