Advice please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I suffer from migraines quite badly and have tried various tablets to try and control them. I have recently come off of Topiramate as it was making me have severe mood swings. The neurologist has given me Gabapentin to try however, this is my second week taking them and just  this week I’ve had 3 migraines. Does  it take a while to get used to Gabapentin? Unsure as to whether I should stop taking them as I had gone a few months without having a migraine while on my previous tablets. Help please!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Abi,

Did you suddenly stop taking the Topiramate or gradual reduction.  You see even though that drug was giving you bad side effects, it was also giving you relief too and if you suddenly stopped it, it would cause you severe migraines.  In taking any drug you have to decide what relief it gives you against the side effects.  You decided that the side effects were worse, so now you are trying Gabapentin.  The chances are that it isnt helping much as its been a couple of weeks.  The next level in Pregabalin, which might help.  You can also suggest to your Dr that you try Botox, its a recognised treatment for migrains on the NHS.  I have these with no side effects and they have been wonderful for me.

Good luck Abi, ask me any question you like, let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi abi have u had any luck with the Gabapentin,I started last night and feel really spaced out and dizzy,hate these side effects,ohhh and really bad migraine today too 😢 hope u have had some luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.