Advice Please

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

This is my first post and was hoping for some advice

I have just been diagnosed with CFS after a year of being constantly tired and having pains in my legs and feet.

I am finding it difficult to come to terms with how it is effecting my life. Some days I can cope with it but other days like today I find it really hard and I get really down. Is this usual and does it get easier to deal with?

I can no longer do as much as I used to and I feel like I don't have much of a life anymore because of the CFS and how it makes me feel.

I am still working although some days I find it hard and really draining.

The doctor has given me painkillers which don't help that much especially when the pain is bad, is there anything else you can suggest I can try?

Sorry for the long post but I could really do with some help

Sonja

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Sonja

So sorry that you have had to make contact with this forum in the first place - but I am quite sure that it is something that you will never regret!

We are all in the same boat here :roll: all suffering from ME in varying degrees. We offer tremendous support to each other, and it really does help to liase with folk that understand your condition. One of the most wearing things about having the illness is trying to explain how we feel to others sad

We are a very mixed bunch here - as you will see if you read some of our postings - we do tend to get out of hand and a bit naughty at times - but the mods are great and let us just get on with it (mostly, :wink: ).

To answer your question - yes, there are days when we all get very down - so what do we do ........ we post on this forum. You can guarantee a reply or three and will end up with a smile on your face (well, hopefully anyway smile )

All sorts of strange individuals will introduce themselves today, I am sure. I am the sensible, intelligent one, who tries very hard to keep the forum in order - sometimes though, I fail miserably - not an easy bunch to deal with - but you will soon see for yourself smile

Most of us suffer the misery of pain, as you do - and we will try and advise and support you as best we can.

Welcome to the forum smile

• Posted

Sonja, hello, nice to meet you but sorry that it is because you are ill.

The only really effective way to deal with ME is through pacing yourself and alternating periods of activity with equal periods of rest. It can be a long and slow road back and I don't want to sound negative but the more you rest now the better chance you have of recovery.

In my honest opinion this forum and the cyberfriends you will get to know on here and as good, if not better than all the painkillers the doctor can prescribe. You are never alone and someone will always laught or cry with you.

Read back through some of the more popular topics and please don't be put off by how crazy we are, it is just a coping mechanism in the humdrum life of ME.

(And watch out for the rude ones, especially Dale/Teedie who think they are the same person)

• Posted

Hi there Alicia

We'll all be checking on you later to make sure things are in good working order ........... he he!! smile

• Posted

Hi Sonja

Dont believe a word those two say - they are as thick as thieves!

Joking aside, I was diagnosed last October and like you manage to hold down a full-time job.....just! As for me well I suffer from the pain you described and especially more so today but that is due to Fibromyalgia which is commonly linked to ME/CFS. But we all suffer from pain and sadly thats part of the ME/CFS. You may hear us refering to CFS as ME because CFS implies chronic fatigue but as you may be aware ME includes many of the other symptons we have such as Insomnia, poor mental functioning, short term memory loss ,itching - the list can go on.

I hope you find some comfort in visiting this forum we are all as daft as brushes yet sensitive. Keep in touch and welcome to the gang :hug:

Donna x

• Posted

[quote:6d465b0a7b="Donnadoolittle"]Hi Sonja

I hope you find some comfort in visiting this forum we are all as daft as brushes yet sensitive. Keep in touch and welcome to the gang :hug:

Donna x[/quote:6d465b0a7b]

Aw Donna, that was a really nice thing to say to Sonja :D You can be quite nice sometimes :wink:

• Posted

Hi, I am Dale and there is a cracking description of me on the "can you imagine" post. :weird:

I have an identity problem, sometimes I think I am Teedie (I am not) :shock: She is our ethnic minority!! :roll: (Scottish)

We all feel the same, sometimes we get overwhelmed and then we come on here and get cheered up :lol:

We cant make the ME go away but we can share coping strategies smile

Try to reduce your working week if you can, rest,rest and rest again!! :roll:

Go with the illness rather than fight it cos you wont win :wah:

Most importantly hang on to your sense of humour :lol:

Stay in touch

Dale xxx

• Posted

Hi All

Many Thanks for all of the below advice and support. Its really good to know that there are people who understand and who can relate to what I am feeling.

I am having another bad day with it today, the pain doesn't seem to be easing.

I am glad I have found this forum, it has helped me already and I am sure it will continue to do so.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the suppport and for making me feel so welcome.

Sonja x

• Posted

Hi Sonja,

Well I'm Teedie, you've already heard my name in vain sad

I joined the same day as my other half Dale :lol: (did you know that Dale?) :lol: 8) We have a lot in common :?

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling bad, we all suffer on here at times. I was diagnosed in March this year and i also suffer pain but not severe, most of the time sad

Alot of us suffer from irregular sleep patterns which is a pain :twisted: I hope you do not develop that. sad

You will definitely enjoy your time on here, so keep posting.

Keep in touch smile

Teedie

xxx

• Posted

Alicia

I am always nice!!! :twisted:

Donna x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.