Advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just been told by my doctor that I have arthritis in my hands. Can anyone suggest  pain relief please? 

Aabb 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Aabb. So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have arthritis in my shoulder and take codeine phosphate two 30 mgm up to 4 times a day. Anti inflammatory tablets are supposed to be more effective but they affected my stomach. Hasn't your GP not prescribed anything for you?
    • Posted

I also have fibromyalgia which I have tried different meds for but feel they make me worse. I take two co codomol at night but they don't work. I have tried tramadol at night which is a little better but they keep me wide awake and that's not good when I have my work to go to. I don't take any meds during the day but feel I am getting worse with both conditions. If I am like this at 43 then what I am going to be like at 73! I have a great job, family and friends which I think helps a lot but it's so frustrating fighting with my body. Maybe I am asking for something that will never happen and that's to find a tablet or treatment that will make me feel human again. 

Aabb

• Posted

Do you take the 8mgm/500mgm co codamol or the 30/500? I do think that taking an anti inflammatory regularly during the day would help providing it doesn't affect the lining of your stomach. They worked for me brilliantly until I had abdominal pain
  • Posted

Hi Aabb

Your GP should prescribe something......I've got it in my hips, back, neck and ankle.I find anti inflammatories are OK as long as your GP gives you a stomach protector with it....Omneprozol or lansoprozol {spelling??} I take naproxon and a stomach protector and also paracetamol.  These seem to help my pain but if your GP were to suggest anti inflammatories I would give them a try.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

co codomol 8mg 500mg........paracetomol and codine mix these you can buy from chemist..............google codine try ibuprophen etc first see witch does it for you whats your doctor prescribed?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.