advice please

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am on day 13 of citalopram. Last week i started to feel increased anxiety but i was told to keep going which i did. Yesterday I had a good day and thought 'great!' but then today I have felt a bit out of sorts.

Is this normal to have good and bad days?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes it is normal. The Cit hasn't really had time to get into your system. I started on 20mg for anxiety and panic attacks following an illness and it began to work week 4 for me. I then had a bad week and the GP upped my dose to 30mg. I am now on week 14 and the old me is back. This doesn't mean it is all roses but then it is only normal to have ups and downs and thanks to the Cit I can cope with this.

Stick with it and if you are still not sure about its effectiveness after another few weeks go back to your GP and ask either to increase the dose or to try something else.

all the best

Linda

• Posted

Can you tell me, when the dose is increased, do you experience the side effects all over again? The increased anxiety was horrible for me.
  • Posted

No I didn't have any side effects from the increase thank goodness!. Like you I was worried about that but it was fine.

all the best

Linda

• Posted

smile hi ive not replyed to anyone before but saying this i havent been taken this before but i felt better after about 4 days that might me thinking yepeeeeeeeeeeeee but its about 3 weeks and im fine , i do think if u think good thoughts plus this its better buts thats me and we are all different arent we. And another thing was i went to a doctor that actually listened to me , because theres alot that dont .
  • Posted

The attitude of your GP is really important. Some of them treat depression as something of a nuisance to be dealt with as quickly as possible by a prescription of the drug of the moment. If you're not happy with your GP then change until you find someone who will take a real interest.
  • Posted

I was wondering the same thing about down days or if it was anxiety coming back. In the past 3 weeks since they kicked in have felt much better but very recently my relationship circumstances have changed and have found myself feeling low and more anxious again and thought am I going backwards or is it because of this stage in my life and once things sort themselves out I will be back to feeling better....its so hard knowing the cause and if its a blip or its a relapse.
  • Posted

The GP and counsellor both told me that there would be backward steps, dips or blips on the path to getting better and that this was okay and normal.

In the past changes in my home environment or doing too much have caused me to have a blip - the mind starts racing again and the anxiety returns. It is awful when it happens but you just need to realise it is a blip and that if you keep on as you were before, you will again progress on the path to recovery.

best wishes

Linda

• Posted

Linda thankyou for your post, it has helped me realise thats its ok to feel like this and not to jump to conclusions and to go along with it and talk to people and not bottle it up.
  • Posted

I too have been feeling like this today. I have been on cit for just over 3 weeks now and feel calmer but last night i didn't sleep very well and today i feel anxious again and thinking oh god i am back to square one.

Is this right, should i still be having days when i don't feel quite right?

• Posted

I have found that even when they hadfully kicked in you still get your off days...its when they become more than one day or a number of days and there is no other explanation for how your feeling. This blip has happened to me I now believe because of my current personal circumstances and because I am allowed to feel said without think my depression has returned. A very good friend has helped me so much today and told me to cut myself some flack and that yeah your gonna feel sad on days but its not my depression its my life that is sad right now and that if I had had a relapse of my depression I would be a lot worse than I am right now....and its true even though its a bad time I am up...facing my thoughts and talking to people how |I am feeling instead of keeping to myself and bottling it all up as I did during my depression....I never saw it that way until someone else pointed it out to me....sorry to ramble
  • Posted

Feel free to ramble, that is the point i think of this site, to off load any issues and get strength and advice from others. We are all going through similar situations so i think it is good to share our experiences. It is reassuring to know that you are not on your own.
  • Posted

Yes Leesy there will be days when you don't feel right. That's normal.

Good to cut yourself some slack Andrew. Last 2 weeks I felt really good and went back to work full time and did this and that and rushed about as I would have before. This week has been 2 steps back. The anxiety has returned and the brain is racing. I need to calm the system down again which I realise will take a while.

The path to recovery is not just a steady slope up. There are hills and dips along the way and we need to accept this and realise that we are still on that road to better health.

best wishes

Linda

• Posted

Have you looked at the website 'anxiety no more'? I found it reassuring. Do a google search for it. When you get on it on the left hand side you will see subjects click on 'setbacks'.

hope you find it reassuring.

Linda

• Posted

Thanks for that Linda, I found that very usefull and will keep looking back at the site...thanks for the words on here folks...it is very reassuring to know that this place exists....and to know that people can share their experiences to help others

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.