Advice Please

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Has anybody had the operation to have a colostomy bag fitted? I am getting to the end of my tether with all the flare ups i keep having and am seriously considering having it done. This colitis has put me out of work because of going to the loo so many times. So advise please guys! is it worth having it done and what are the draw backs?

Terry x

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Terry,

My son is 29 now and is about to have surgery to attach his new jpouch to his rectum so that he wil use his bottom again!! He is fit and a good weight again after a gruesome journey lasting 21 months. I am writing his story as he is busy living his life.

I wish I'd found these forums along time ago. A brief summary, my son was 27 and an athlete and sports coach, super fit, very proud of his muscular and lean body. He was running as he was going in for a half marathon for charity and started to get diarrhea but he coped and thought it was caused by the running. He got much worse and didnt tell anyone and ran the half marathon during a major flare up!

We nagged him about his weight loss and dragged to the GP.He was diagnosed with UC and in 2 weeks he was on large doseages of anti imflammatories, steroids and foam enemas. He responded well and the symptoms reduced so under GP orders he reduced his doseages and all hell broke loose. He was massively anaemic, loosing blood and mucous 20 x in 24 hours. He went to A&E in a state of collapse. He was on a gastro ward and they tried infliximab etc by intra venous drip but it was all too late and his bowel perforated and he had emergency surgery to remove his bowel apart from the last 4 inches or so. This ileostomy left him with a stoma and a mucous fistula. He was at a general hospital and they did their best. He was frustrated by the site of the stoma as it was in the way of his clothes and he couldnt wear jeans for example and also the fistula was close by and got in the way of the stoma bags, esp as it needed a dressing or a small bag too. I dont know how much variation is possible as the stoma nurse measured and marked the site 2 days before perforation, just in case, but didnt talk to my son about lifestyle and clothing etc.

He recovered well and left hosp after 2 weeks. He had a large scar as his abdomen needed cleaning out and keyhole surgery wasnt an option but if you opt for surgery then key hole is good as the recovery is quicker and  scarring is small.

My son was told that a third of UC patients recover well with meds, a third require surgery almost straight away and a third require surgery after meds have failed and life is too difficult. On the positive side meds and treatments are being developed all the time so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

He coped well with the stoma and fistula and realised that as long as you have an informed stoma nurse then life is pretty normal, he was not confident enough to swim however. He was now disease free apart from needing Asacol suppositories in his bottom to slow down the mucous production. As he now could eat and drink without pain he put the weight back on and was able to exercise and build his muscles up again. Eating later than 7pm meant he had to get up in the night to empty the bag but compared to life with UC its ok.

By choice he decided to wait about 12 months and go for jpouch formation, esp as his life is so sporty. This worked well and he has been checked and the healing is great so next step is connecting the pouch to the outside. The surgery was in the original scar to make the pouch and remove the last part of bowel (the fistula). The last step is by keyhole surgery through the stoma and then close that up. All of this is being done by the experts at John Radcliffe hosp Oxford, they are brilliant. They do several sorts of pouches depending on needs.

One more thing he did develope  a dvt 2 weeks after the first op as the hosp did not send him home with blood thinning meds. Beware dvt is upto 3x more likely for UC sufferers than normal so get to know the symptoms and ask for heparin if you are immobile such as when in hosp.

Good luck to all.

• Posted

Hi Sheila

wow....... i am so pleased that your son has come out of this with an almost normal life. i will read all of your comments again and take the best bits with me to my consultant when i see him. Thanks very much for all of information

Terry x

• Posted

Hi All in this discussion, I forgot to mention that my son wasnt keen on the jpouch op at first as he felt he'd had enough of surgeries and hospitals but then the consultant at JR hosp said he needed the "stump" removed anyway as it is statistically more likely to get cancer than healthly bowel tissue. So once healthy again he was keen to get the jpouch and he was only in hosp for 4 days! so what the heck compared to before its nothing.

Also a PE usually starts as a dvt, there is the UC risk again. Crohns & collitis assoc mention it in info.

Its all a steep learning curve and we need to do our best to keep informed. It can be annoying that people on TV say that the growth in IBD is because of overuse of antibiotics and unhealthy lifestyle, my son had 3 lots of antibios in 27 years and looked like Andy Murray, you dont get to look like that by bad habits.

Keep strong.

• Posted

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words - I am weirdly calm about it as my consultant has been excellent and I am informed about everything.

Sheila, it sounds like your son went through the wars but I am really pleased he has found resolution. I am a healthy forty year old and this came out the blue and has been really bad so having a j pouch will be a relief. I am in Milton Keynes General right now but my consultant and surgeon come from the John Radcliffe. However, I am looking at St Marks for the pouch reconstruction - my UC is genetic from my Jewish grandmother and they are the centre in dealing with that type of UC...or crohn's as after my scope this morning they are uncertain which one I have!

Roll on morning and all will be revealed 😊

• Posted

Hi DrC, Lots of good wishes for your own success.

My son was indeterminate for months until JR Oxford got hold of him and he was defo UC. Feeling confident in your care is half the battle.

We were initially going to get referral to St Marks but changed to JR as we had a personal recommendation from a friend who had j pouch there under Prof Mortenson and was still great after some years. The Prof is formerly of St Marks and went to Oxford to set up his new department. The Prof did my sons surgery and his care and personal attention was excellent. The wards are excellent too as they have many private patients who bring in the dosh, even the food was super and you could ask for food to be sent up at any time in the 24 hours as being an IBD patient you were used to appetite swings!!

Does it feel better or worse being an insider? At least you can ask all the right questions. The being healthy previously bit is good tho as recovery and healing is so much easier and so is the mental approach to aftercare.

What did you mean by "my consultant and surgeon come from JR", are they on loan or formerly at JR.

Stay confident and make informed choices.

Sheila

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Quick update as I have limited access but just to let you know they are waiting on a surgical decision until the beginning of the week until I get a second colonoscopy done on Monday. There was some confusion as to whether it was crohn's or colitis due to the nature of the inflamation but histology has confirmed this to be colitis so any surgery will be total as opposed to sectional.

Also, things have been put back somewhat by a hospital chest infection because they didn't take proper procautions with my lower immune system due to the cyclosporine and azerthiaprine! However, this time at the MK General my care has been excellent. It is shame that I can only be stablised with heavy drugs as I feel that my colon is recovering but the moment the cortizone stops I am back at stage one, again!

To answer your question, Sheila, my consultant was former of the excellent JR and my surgeon trained under the best at St Mark's - no matter how (quite literally) crappy this disease is we are lucky to have some excellent hospitals that can treat us in this region.

• Posted

So glad that the good guys are looking after you! Good luck with the decisions. My son's hospital was only 20 miles down the road but it felt like 50 years! the surgeon was ok but the nursing care was pathetic. As I mentioned above he had 9 days critical care, 5 days on ward and then home but developed a massive dvt in his left leg, 28 days post surgery. I'm sure that a lot of his problems were because he was so weak before the op and it was emergency as he had a perforated bowel. An elective surgery will be so much better for you if it comes to it. Have you had a good chat with the stoma nurse about the siting of it, my son's problem was his waistband went over it.

More to the point I'm sure you are knowledgeable about vte risk assessment and so when you go home you will have information about poss dvt s and anti coagulation. The hospital didn't give out anti coagulation meds or info hence the dvt. It wasn't even mentioned. They have changed their policy now for IBD patients due to our complaints so at least we hope to have helped others.

My son is attending Guy's and St Thomas hosp vascular clinic in London for post thrombotic syndrome and is due for stenting in June in the ileo femoral vein. Mr Stephen Black will perform the procedure and we are really hopeful that it will cure his symptoms. This is the only place in UK  to do this.

We are very positive about the NHS as long as it works well as i'm sure it will for you.

• Posted

Hello everyone,

I guess we can now talk about Stoma bags I broke my virginity with one last week!

Just a quick update, my condition went rapidly down and I was operated on with full open surgery and my wife and I found out immediately afterwards I only had hours and minutes before a lethal perforation. My excellent Maltese consultant, Dr Lazlon Miller put it very well after the hassle it took to get me into hospital, 'Frankly, without this your eight year old son would have found you dead in the garden because of your stubborness'. I owe him everything as I have a beautiful wife, son and daughter and realise what I and they would have lost.

So, coming out the surgery was all euphoria and lucky to be alive and it has worked well, but I had a very adverse reaction to the morphine and anaestethic that created my first and only psycotic episode and I asked for a forced twelve hour cold turkey before going onto low dose oral morphine. It is pain you cannot imagine but for some people such as myself who are 'rugger buggers' we have large frames and statistically have this issue more than most.

Let's back to the bag and please allow me to misquote Morgan Freeman as the convict Red in the film the Shawshank redemption as this is how I feel:

"Stigma? It's just a BS word. I'm just gonna go on and change my stoma everyday, it's easy and I'll stop wasting my time. worrying about what might have been Because to tell you the truth, I'm very happy to be alive I don't give a sh!£"

• Posted

So glad to hear you came through it! Were you separated at birth from my relatives or is it male thing!!

Also my son went in to A&E and was told he was close to death but he hadnt wanted to be in over Christmas so had ignored how bad he looked and felt. Guess where he spent Christmas?! critical care post op, but compared to the rest of the hosp it was brilliant. His first meal was hosp jelly then mash and gravy and then plain ice cream, onto normalish food. By day 9 post op his girlfriend was bringing in pizza as a treat. The digestion process was painful for him as was moving around but as morphine made him sick he swapped to other meds. He was grateful for the morphine pump at first though. Hopefully as you didnt actually perforate you wont develop pneumonia and abcesses.

When my son came home I stayed off work to care for him as his girlfriend had just started her new job. His diet was normal but obviously avoided too much fibre and indigestible items like peanuts, sweetcorn and onions. As he was so skinny due to UC he had snacks such as complan with whole milk. I read up that B vitamins are needed as an extra as poorly absorbed without a large bowel, they are good too for hair and skin as my son's hair was weak because of steroids, anaemia and lack of food.

By the way weird but my son's favourite film is Shawshank and he would watch it at night when he couldnt sleep  because of the steroids. He can quote it too. He was born by caesarian and the surgeon was Maltese! We bought a flat there years ago and go on hol there every year!! WTF!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

So glad you came through it and are well. I have sent you a long post but as I included a different blog site it requires moderation, darn.

A young girl named hattie writes about her new stoma,  puts things back into perspective, if she can do it then so can anyone. Google it for uplifting messages.

My son is now 18 months down the line and eats and drinks anything and doesnt worry about gaps between food and drink and fizzy drinks etc. The windyness is not a problem now. So basically the stoma settles down and doesnt block or fart after a while. It also doesnt smell unless in desparate need for emptying!

• Posted

Hi DrColenzo

Thank you for keeping us updated with your recovery.  Sorry to hear that you have been through the mill but glad you are now on the road to recovery.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Sheila91262

I am due to have my colon removed and have read about your son's recovery and also DrColenzo's post.

You mention about Hattie and her new stoma and wondered whether you had the link for it as I would love to read it with the hope it can put some of my issues to bed.

Many thanks

Sue 

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I cant mention website as the moderator stops it to check content, so google Hattie stoma and she is first to pop up.

I wish you the best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Sheila and Sillip,

I promise to Google Hattie's post and have a good look.

We certainly have a few coincidences here, particularly the Maltese Connection. The Maltese are descended from Jewish people in the Med and I am assuming there must be quite an interest in gastro work there as the same genes must produce the same incidence of crohn's and colitis that people such as myself get from our Jewish side. Our place will be in Santornini, Greece, however as I have a certain Greek beach gypsey mentality that my wife compares to Tom Conti in Shirley Valentine!!!!

Feelng a little post pain killer whoozy right now and will post more later but just remember, for all of us whether we are a suffer or relatives of those who suffer there is now real pain, nor real stigma nor real concerns - this can be fixed and lives can be made better and one day this will just be a disease of the past taught about in history classes. For now, however, we just have to get over the hump.

All the best and I will be in touch soon.

Best,

Duncan.

• Posted

Hi All, My son has had his final op and his ileostomy is reversed and he is doing v well. He is delighted that he looks more " normal" and he feels fine so hopefully onwards and upwards. I hope you are all well and coping with the changes, including the positive ones, like no pain or drugs!

Good luck

• Posted

Hi All on here, Hope you are all doing nicely. I would like to catch up on how things are progressing. Have people had their surgeries?

Son is doing very well, no symptoms, pouch behaving nicely. He is fit and strong again, maybe a bit lean for my liking, looks like Murray but without the grumpiness! He eats loads but very active so works it off. He have absolutely no regrets over the J pouch and still enormously grateful to the marvellous team at John Radcliffe. He has had a couple of check ups and they are happy too.

Hope to find things are good. Sheila.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.