Advice please

Posted , 8 users are following.

As an acid reflux sufferer with Hiatus Hernia, why are we advised that its better to sleep on your left side and not on the right or on your back?  Found plenty of references on line to this, but they don't explain why?  Has anyone found out the answer please??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Forget the attached image is actually from an advertisement, it shows clearly the reason.

Sleeping with the bedhead raised means gravity will help keep stomach contents where they belong; lying on your right side would enable the contents to enter the oesophagus. That's why, for refluxers, "Left is right!"

• Posted

It explains why I have reflux at night. Thanks for sharing it. I didnt know till now. Wish to know earlier. My bad habit of lying on the right side make it worse. I will try the new habit.
    • Posted

Thanks Barretts and thanks to all who have replied to this discussion.  Guess I'll be sleeping on the left side from now on then, despite it being uncomfortable......has anyone tried sleeping in a sitting position on the bed leaning on the wall???  
  • Posted

Hi Franksfan,

I have the same situation as you and I've always read about this too. So my bed is elevated and I tried to lie on my left, but it never works for me... actually lying on any side doesn't work for me. When the bed is elevated and you try to do that, it presses on those muscles on the side and can get very painful and even uncomfortable to breathe. 

• Posted

I have been a sufferer for30+ years and the reason for sleeping on the left hand side is because the stomach is lower and there is less chance of acid rising into the gullet
  • Posted

I don't have any symptoms either way, but I do sleep 90% of the time flat on my back.  Plus, I can breath better this way. But is good to know sleeping on the left is better because I do prefer the elft side better vs the right side.  Now, I understand if you have HBP is better to sleep on the right side.
  • Posted

Hello Franksfan, by coincidence I read of two trials to test which was more beneficial just yesterday, and left was it. Part of the reason given was as Barratts says and shows. Another was that even if stomach fluid does get into the oesophagus while on our left side, it can flow back into the stomach better than if we're on our right where it would burn away merrily unless we woke up.

I have lain on my right as it seemed best for me, and I visualised it being better for the continuous emptying of my stomach after last meal and through the night, but I should probably try my left again going on logic.

• Posted

I sleep on my right side without problems , the left side however gives me a lot of discomfort (have elevated bed).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.