advice please

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello can anyone put my mind at rest im 48 and been told i need a Hysterectomy , after they found overactive cells in my womb, which could turn to cancer so the doctor said.So they taking it  all out . I am so scared i have read some real horror storries on the net over the last few weeks and am really scared can anyone please help .

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Paula,

At 19 I had an emergency partial hysterectomy.

At 20 I had a radical hysterectomy.

I am now 65.

Stay off of the internet! Many, many of us are here for you today, and every other day you have questions or need support.

So take a deep breath...the cancer word rattles all of us...

Is your physician suggesting a hysterectomy which leaves the ovaries in place?

Or

Is your physician recommending a radical hysterectomy..the ovaries would also be removed.

Consider speaking with an endocrinologist before surgery to discuss hormone replacement options...you are near the change of life.

The doctor did not say that you have cancer. What you have is a pre cancerous condition. If you were 25, you would be monitored very carefully. Typically, 48 is past the age most women want to bear children.

Your physician is suggesting that your age makes you an excellent candidate to have a hysterectomy and avoid the possibility of cancer.

Frankly, I have never missed having a menstrual cycle. This is usually a pleasant outcome.

Ask your physician if you will be having a vaginal hysterectomy which is much easier than the through the abdomen I endured twice.

After surgery, you will want to avoid lifting because lifting places stress on your insides.

You may have some discomfort...your surgeon will give you painkillers to go home with.

You will be tired until the anesthesia works its way out of your body.

You may be able to return home the same day.

You will be unable to drive for a short time...painkillers and slamming a break on are the issues.

You may bloat a bit...so have spme docusate sodium on hand.

Plan to take one week of from work.

The big take away is...you will be okay. Especially with our discussion group watching over you.

Post all of your questions

hugs

judith

• Posted

Hi all got my date its 28th November so not long now i feel more  at ease now after chatting to u all , i Think the most think at this point im worried about is not being able to pee after the op as ive read that many woman have problems what can i do to help this i know to drink plenty , is there any other advice thanks Paula x
    • Posted

Hi Paula,

I was catherized because your parts are so close to your urinary bladder. the nurses are great, they will help you

hugs

• Posted

I think they put a catheter in as a matter of course during surgery, I only had mine in overnight then I was able to pee OK after that.

PS it doesn't hurt when the catheter is taken out.

• Posted

Hi, Phoebe, 

Just fyi for you and others on the site.  In my area of the US under normal circumstances a catheter is placed in the bladder during surgery and then removed.  Once out of recovery and conscious, female patients are encouraged to urinate in a measuring device placed in the toilet.  The amount voided is carefully monitored.  If a patient is unable to void a specific amount eventually, the staff need to get the doctor's consent for a catheter to be re-inserted.  

Just fyi!  smile

• Posted

Ah, procedures where you are, are different, I'm in the UK, though I expect they are different here from hospital to hospital, and from consultant to consultant, I didn't have to do a bowel prep but I know of a lot of other ladies who did have to to do that, all depends where you are I suppose.

• Posted

Nice job, Lynda, this is exactly how it was done in the midwest.

Partial I had no bowel prep.

Fulll I did have bowel prep

Both times was a bikini cut in the abdomen

• Posted

Hi, Phoebe!

Actually, the placement of the catheter makes more sense to me.  I spent the night in the hospital after my surgery, and had lots of trouble peeing at first, not to mention having to get up, with a licensed practical nurse assisting, manage my IV, sit on the toilet and work to void a thimblefull.  Eventually, I was able to get enough out to satisfy them, a few hours before I got to go home.

How are you doing?

• Posted

Thanks!  A friend of mine had to have an ovary removed, and she had to do a bowel prep. So the practice varries.  In my area of the US, the Southwest, people are pretty litigious, especially in the medical area.  We have the big law firms to prove it!
    • Posted

Hi Lynda,

I couldn't have got up, I had those inflating things on my legs that help prevent clots plus I had a spinal block just prior to surgery so I would have just folded in a heap on the floor LOL!

I'm well thanks though there are days when I wish I hadn't had to have it done, but most of the time I'm good, still occasionally get swelly belly, even after all this time, it's a wierd feeling.

Phoebe x

• Posted

Hi Phoebe,

I understand, I had the stockings, too.  I had forgotten about those.  But, they unhooked me so I could shuffle to the bathroom.  Didn't have a spinal block. I woke up for good at about 3 pm.  Spent the night getting injections of morphine for pain, watching the "Healing Channel" on TV with a night light on, nodding off some, but not sleeping much. Too worried, I guess.

Still worried about a reoccurrence, though staging was at 1a. I've heard that worrying is just part of it.

So good to hear from you!  How are you doing?  

• Posted

Hi again, I am doing well thanks Lynda, I have my last follow up appointment with my consultant in January, mine was also 1A, I would be lying if I said I had not thought about recurrance, I have, I have recently had recurring bouts of cystitis and the thought did enter my head that something else was 'lurking' but the tests came back as just a UTI, other than that I don't think about it too much, it would drive me crazier than I am already biggrin, still can't shift the weight I put on before surgery and a little more since but am working on it, how about you?

Phoebe x

• Posted

Hi, Phoebe,

Thanks for getting back to me! Sorry for the delay in responding.  Have had some computer problems, which I hope are remedied, at least for now.

I'm very lucky, I haven't had cystitis, but I've had some vaginitis, with accompanying discharge that was actually pea green.  Sorry if I gross you out, thankfully, there wasn't much of it!  smile

I'm trying to walk more, but haven' been able to for the last couple of days.  I do feel better once I get out there.  And, I listen to a CD almost daily that synchronizes the hemisphere's of my brain.  I've been doing that for a while, and it works like meditation for me.  Helps me to relax and fall asleep.

So, I'm doing pretty good some days, and not so good others, but I guess that's the way it goes!

xxx Lynda 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.