Advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've had severe bunions for as I can remember. I had surgery many many years ago but had such a bad experience I've just put up with the pain, discomfort and embarrassment for over 40 years!! I've finally plucked up the courage to have something done and I'm sheduled to have big toe fusion (only option available after previous bodged surgery) on both feet in January 2017. I don't mind admitting I am terrified and would welcome any advice and positive comments. Thankyou.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dear Lynn,

here is the name of the clinic in Alicante that i had both bunnions removed( severe). and 2 hammer toes on each foot straightened.

San Roman Clinic in Alicante.

I walked out of the clinic on my own with the help of post surgical shoes.

I was unfortunate, in the sence that i got an infection in one of my feet, but it cleared up with antibiotics.

I could walk, all be it slowly, and have been able to look after myself since.

Im 5 weeks post surgery now, still wearing post surgical shoes, but well on the mend. I go back to Spain next week, 40 days after the surgery and they will remove bandages and xray and all going well I should be able to wear sports shoes for a few months before venturing into ordinary shoes.

Its a private clinic so you have to pay for the surgery.

ps.

they may not be able to do anything with the botched foot but they will for the other.

Hope this was of some use.

catherine

• Posted

Thankyou very much for the reply Catherine. I'm going to put my faith in the good old NHS and have found a surgeon in West Yorkshire who specializes in foot surgery. It was very encouraging to hear that you are well on the road to recovery after just 5 weeks and I hope all goes well on your return to Spain. Take care and thanks again

• Posted

Hi Lynn.  I am in Holmfirth, West Yorkshire,  I don't suppose you are allowed to name the surgeon, but is he far from me?

• Posted

It's Mr Sturdee at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary although he uses the operating theatres at Calderdale hospital.

• Posted

Dear Lynn

You may have also had nerve damage from the botched operation. Best of luck with your future surgery. If your surgeon tells you to wear a silicon spacer between your toes after the stiches are removed keeping your big toe straight, please be careful doing so because it will leave a wide wedge space after your bones have set making it difficult wearing flip flops as the gap will be too wide securing it between your toes. This is what happened to me causing my foot being a bit wider and now on December 6 I'm having a bunionette operation which narrows the foot from the small toe and having four hammer toes broken and wired keeping them straight. I'm also very nervous having surgery but it must be done. I would not being going through this if I hadn't of used the spacer between my toes for six weeks. Not happy at all. sad Wishing you the very best of luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much for the information Lynn.  I am so pleased that he is a local surgeon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.