Advice please

Posted , 7 users are following.

ice been using vagifem for over 10 years now and most times are free from irritation but 4 weeks ago it started really badly  so I upped the vagifem to every other day but no relief. Doc has done swab but waiting for result. Doc prescribed betnovate to use but it's driving me mad.  Seems worse. What does anybody think about betnovate.  Washed it off last night and put vitamin e oil on and it feels little better. Should I stop using the betnovate

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

At first Betnovate is awful pain, but if you persevere after a week or so it will give you amazing results.

Regards,

Sam

• Posted

I'm trying to give Betnovate another go.  Been using Sudacrem for the last week or so and it is comforting but I know it won't make it go away so I have put a very light layer of Betnovate on this morning and 2 hours later it doesn't feel too bad.  I wonder if you have to replenish it when you have done a "wee"?  Fingers crossed. I'm going to stick with it whatever. 

• Posted

I would check the small print on betnovate it might not agree with you. I use Yes oil based lube inside and out and that works for me. If vit e works for you use it. I use hydromol for showering prescribed by doctor. Some ladies use extra virgin coconut oil. Vagifem irritates me after a while I do not use hormones now.
    • Posted

Just ordered some hydromol from Amazon. Vit e oil seems to be helping so far. Fingers crossed. Thank you. 
    • Posted

Let me know how you get on with Hydromol. It looks like thick vaseline but it goes into a soapy lather (although it isn't soap) when it gets wet. It can only be used externally but I have had no irritation from it.

• Posted

I would be very wary of Betnovate as its a steroid based medication and using these kinds of creams thins the skin when used regularly- which will make the atrophy worse. 
  • Posted

Depends on the issue, I have found betnovate very useful but is anti inflammatory, do you have actual inflammation? Might you have thrush? Trimovate a little better as includes antifungal. AV very grim and steals your sexuality and feminity.  I had soreness (not itching) and I think betnovate sorted it after about 6 weeks. Itching is different though
    • Posted

Not thrush. Swatest says all normal but still this. Hot Throbbing irritable pain. Best way to describe it.  Trying sudocrem at mo and it's helping a bit. Doc said to leave off betnovate if it's irritating    Don't know which way to turn   I'm getting near to tears now 

• Posted

Grim, must say, trimovate helped me, but who knows, might have gone away anyway. Very sad for you, hope it improves, not tried Vit E but might do next time it comes back to bite me
  • Posted

Been on vagifem for years too - don't understand why all the info re AV says it will clear up (magic!?) after 3 months. Caused by a lifetime condition e.g. Post menopause loss of oestrogen so makes sense to me that my consultant says you keep taking it.  She agrees with me that lowering the dose some years ago means it just isn't as effective as it was (used to be 25 now 10 in each tab.)  I used to be reasonably happy on it back then but  sex impossible and still  sometimes sore.

. She also says I can use the vagifem more or less as often as I like as due to lower dose I'd have to take it 5 times a week even to get to the old dose, and that is still way less than conventional H RT But I came on to see if any newer better treatments- seems not.

• Posted

I am with you on that one.  Been to see my doc today as it is still sore but she says all looks OK up there and urine sample clear.  Back to square one.  She said to use the Vagifem every day for a couple of weeks and recommended Silcocks Base as a moisturiser!  Not heard of that one.  I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.  She also said because I had been using the Vagifem on a very infrequent basis prior to the flare up that it will take a while to get the hormone levels back to looking after the vaginal tissues.  Over and out! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.