Advice Please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I don't know if this is a diverticulitis attack or not and would appreciate some advice.

I have been in the bathroom with diarrhea for 2 hours plus I have been

sick 4 times. When it first started I was sweating that's now changed to

shivering. Had terrible stomach cramps and I could hear my stomach rumbling. Is this the symptoms of diverticulitis . I feel so weak and tired

and very thirsty but even small sips of water are making me feel sick.

Any advice please. Do I need to see a doctor?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda

Possibly Diverticulitis, or it could just be an upset stomach from either a bug or something you have eaten.  I had something that sounds identical to your symptoms 10 days ago, with awful swamping cramps, bloating, gurgling, the runs for 24 hours, hot and cold.  I just wanted to sleep, which I did on and off for 36 hours.  It took about 5 days for the pains to slowly subside and normal bowel functions to resume.  I am 100% fine now.

However, I recognised that my pain was not the same as the sharp stabbing pain and/or dull ache I get with a flare of Diverticulitis.  Does your pain this time feel different to the pain you get with Diverticulitis?  Mine was more like that of an ordinary tummy upset (main suspect was raw vegetables I had for lunch that day), or the bowel spasms of Diverticular Disease (abnormal bowel contractions, but without the infection or inflammation of Diverticulitis).  Can you remember what a tummy upset felt like before you had Diverticulitis?

My best advise is to make sure you keep taking water, no matter how sick you feel, as you need to keep hydrated after diarrhoea.  Also just stick to clear fluids for a few days to give your bowels a chance to recover.  I had already been prescribed anti spasmodics for my Diverticular Disease, which I also took, along with paracetemol for the pain, and a hot water bottle.  If you start to feel worse, or are not starting to feel better by tomorrow then I suggest you do seek medical advise.  I hope you soon start to feel better.

• Posted

Yes I would see your GP he will tell you if he thinks it's diverticulitis the only way to know for sure is ether a scan or a colonoscopy. I hope it isn't it's just a upset stomach

• Posted

Honestly, that just sounds like the stomach bug that usually lasts 12-24 hours. My entire family had it over the holidays.
  • Posted

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your replies. Well this will be my 4th night in hospital

Doctor doesn't know if it's gastroenteritis or my diverticulitis.

I'm in a lot of pain because it's set my bladder pain off too and I could have a bladder infection but doctors don't want to give me antibiotics incase it gives me another infection ( c diff ).

• Posted

Hi Linda

Sorry to hear you are in hospital, but glad you did seek medical advice, as clearly you needed to.  I hope the infections are soon under control and you begin to feel better.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are in hospital but best place to be if you aren't well Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I am thinking about phoning my GP I have had pain and on off diarrhoea for about 4 days think it might be a flare up x

• Posted

I got diagnosed with Diverticulitis in september.

I think i am having a flare up. Has anybody had it really bad twice?.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.