advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been given ESA till 2020, I am also on standard rate PIP for both components, I was granted PIP at end of 2016 after a ftf assessment, even though what the nurse said about how far I could walk was totally wrong ( I was advised by money matters not to appeal, as I could end up losing everything, although how that can happen is beyond me) I have since been diagnosed with sleep apnoea and am on oxygen at night. I wanted to know if I could apply again ( or is there a time scale) for the higher rate, as my health is really getting worse. I have COPD, Asthma, and CRPS. Any advice will be appreciated TYIA

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

You can certainly report any changes at anytime, however this is risky because nothing is gaurenteed! You do risk losing everything you have. Remember PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's awarded based on how your conditions affect you daily. Reporting changes will be like starting all over again. They will send you the exact same form (PIP2) that you filled in the first time. You will then need to fill this in, return it by the date stated on the letter otherwise your money will stop. Can i ask please when is your PIP award until? Bearing in mind that PIP reviews take place 1 year before the award is due to end. The reason i ask is because if it's soon then it maybe better that you wait for the review. You'll aslo most likely need to attend another f2f assessment like the first time. Send in all relevent evidence to support the descriptors that apply to you. I've heard of people reporting changes and they gone on to lose what they already have. Other stories i've read and their award has stayed the same. It's a lot of stress for anyone but only you can decide what you want to do.

• Posted

Hi. One word DON'T 

• Posted

I totally agree with you there. It's never a great idea to report changes purely because you risk losing everything you already have. My condition got worse over 1 year ago but my award wasn't due for review until another 8 months. I decided to wait until review because there was no way i was going to risk what i had. Luckily for me the mobility part was increased to Enhanced at review, which was exactly what i wanted. Way too many people report changes and say they wish they never did.

• Posted

Hi Phyllis.

I reported a change to PIP as I was diagnosed with MS in October 2016. I lost my high rate and mobility after a new ftf. I out in an MR and decision the same. I put in an appeal which was accepted by the courts. And am awaiting a date for the tribunal. So yes be careful as you could end up worse off for being honest.

Mark. XX

• Posted

I would leave it to be honest. I know a few people on oxygen, including me, and it's more or less considered as a medicine by them. It won't automatically give extra points, although it's possible. Good luck with your decision  

• Posted

To gain those extra points those descriptors would need to apply. That's what PIP is all about....those all important descriptors and whether they apply to the person claiming. If they do then evidence to prove this is vital.

• Posted

I'm so sorry I had no idea you were on oxygen.  As you know oxygen is to enhance your life and your wellness. I personally know someone to was judged as fit to work after being put on 24/7 oxygen. It is possible to be awarded extra points as I said. 

• Posted

I'm not on oxygen, i never said i was. PIP isn't about being fit for work that's ESA. People claim PIP and work. The original poster was asking about PIP.

• Posted

I'm aware of that. This was an example. Pip is about how your illness effects you rather than dla which was more about the illness as I'm sure you know already. (Yes I know they are called descriptors) Oxygen can improve it. I also thought anyone who had an answer was free to answer. I haven't said anything wrong here at all. I have had two of the same illnesses as the OP for many years and been thro the benefit system and presumed that qualified me to answer. Obviously not.... 

• Posted

You seem a little confused! You said in a reply to me you were sorry you didn't know i was on oxygen and i replied to you that i'm not. I never said at anytime you weren't to have your oppinion. I'm here to help people and infact i've helped a lot of people here in the time i've been here and i know others would agree with me here!  If someone gives the wrong info then i'll tell them, simple as that. People come here for advice and i give that whether it be on the forums or through a private message to me. Yes i do know what PIP is all about otherwise i wouldn't be here advicing others. Thanks, enjoy this lovely sunshine! smile

• Posted

You implied you knew about descriptors and extra point when you someone is on oxygen. So took it for granted you were a user to know such a thing. I hadn't realized you were a benefits expert. Could you please quote here the descriptors and points and any guides for oxygen users claiming pip. I'm sure it would be very helpful to a lot of users. 

• Posted

Yes i do know about the descriptors but there's no extra points for people who use oxygen, and as far as i know there's no guides for those who use oxygen, you miss understood my post. I was simply pointing out that to gain those extra points you have to prove which descriptors apply to you. It's the same for everyone. Links can't be posted here but the currect PIP descriptors are there for everyone and that's what the assessors and decision maker are supposed to follow (yes i agree that's not always the case) I'm not a benefits expert lol i claim both PIP and ESA myself and i did my extensive research when i first claimed. That's the reason i know so much.

• Posted

Exactly. There is none. Even dwp don't know what to do with us.  It's what I've been saying, except I didn't mention they can use it against you. oxygen, cpap or bipap at night can mean losing part of the care allowance on reassessment, as on it you no longer struggle or need help from someone during the night. Not saying that always happen but sometimes it does. I just wanted the op to weigh up carefully before asking for reassessment. It's a minefield. Good for you helping people. 

• Posted

I see what you mean yes, but needing help from someone during the night isn't in the PIP descriptors. I beleive that was part of the DLA care though. A perosn could gain points from this using one of the descriptors of PIP in part number 3 "Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition" points can be gained here. Like i said i can't post links but google PIP descriptors and you'll see. People should always think carefully before reporting any changes you're right. So many people have shot thenselves in the foot by doing this. It's a minefield you're right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.