Advice please

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. Was diagnosed with this horrible condition years ago and even had to have part of my colon removed about 6 years ago . Also have IBS which I've learned to live with, but not had a serious dv flare up for a long time.However a week today I started to get discomfort with bad diorreha . I have seen my gp and followed all his advice including 48 hrs clear liquid , and then the usual soups and bland foods , toast , bananas ECT. Taking anti biotics and buscopan but my tummy settles for a few hours and off to the loo again. For e.g.. last night ate mashed potato and baked fish. No problems. This morning tried 2 small waffles ( as suggested by internet diet for diorreha) and half cup of tea and off I go again ! Can anyone else associate with this or offer and advice. I feel so weak and washed out now that Is be grateful for any help. Sorry for the long post

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Val, I can’t offer any proper advice, because I’m just another sufferer. However you have followed my exact pattern of diet, liquid 48hours etc, and the introduction of bland food. I don’t know if you mean ordinary ‘tea’ with milk in, but I stick only to herbal tea during a flare up. Have you considered that it’s actually the antibiotics giving you the diarrhoea. While I’m on the antibiotics I have constant diarrhoea, and I feel poorly. After the seven days the diarrhoea clears up and my other symptoms start to get better. I do suffer from a sore tummy etc for several weeks though. I was only diagnosed 15 months ago with dv and I’ve had 7 flare ups since then. I am so grateful to this forum, I’ve learnt no end from other sufferers. I do hope you soon feel better.

Best wishes.....

• Posted

Thank you for your reply much appreciated. Yes I did try tea with milk and have decided to give that a complete rest for a while and have now got some ginger tea to try. It has been a long time since I have had such a bad flare up so had forgotten just how poorly it makes you. I did wonder myself if it could be the anti biotics that were making the diorreha linger on so I've decided to wait until they are finished and see what happens then, but I can't tell you how much your reply has put my mind at ease. Thank you

• Posted

I always feel lousy on the antibiotics and it takes 3 - 4 weeks for my bowels to get back into some kind of normal rythym.  Otherwise I do exactly what you have been doing regarding diet.  Once I've finished the pills, I go back to my regime of a daily Fybogel , probiotic and pure aloe vera juice.  But the pills make me queasy and anything with any taste it likely to make a return journey!!  Hope you settle down soon.

• Posted

Thank you for our reply. I think I am going to have to wait until the tablets are finished and see what happens then , but I am reassured to learn that it could just e them that is making the diorreha linger. Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.