Advice please

Posted , 7 users are following.

i had bunion surgery 2 weeks tomorrow and am due to have the stitches removed tomorrow. My question is do I continue to wear the boot and what about weight bearing? The information sheet I received is not clear. 

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gail

Sorry I can't help.

I had surgery 8 weeks ago, had three casts on since then and the stitches are still in!

Surgery varies so much. Best people to ask are the people treating you. I come home with a different leaflet each time. I'm building my own paper bale.

Just ask.

• Posted

Your doctor will tell you but I suspect you will have to wear the boot for another four weeks.
  • Posted

Hi Gail,

My best advice for you since I am now on my 5 month is to elevate, elevate, elevate and ice pack to help you heal faster and less swelling everyday. After my 2 week, my doctor recommend no weight bearing and he put me in a cast for 4 weeks so I was in crutches and again no weight bearing during that time. I know that were all different and what worked for me may not work for others, but mostly what I read here is that 6 to 8 weeks do lots of elevation and ice pack and listening to your body. Do of course follow what your doctor says which is important but thought I would let you know a few tips of what helped me get through a long journey. I wish you the best and this forum is very helpful as well to reach out to others.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your responses.

• Posted

Your boot should come off know,hasn’t your surgeon told you .ask him when you see him good luck
  • Posted

I also had surgery on the 13th (twins!) haha. I am in a cast until the 24th of may and can walk around on it (outside and heel). Today I'm experiencing a lot of pins and needs on my foot though? Is this normal sad  I think it's so interesting that some folks don't have casts! Lucky! How is that possible? ;( 

• Posted

Hey Gail. That's amazing you had stiches removed! Wow! My Dr. said it's 6-8 weeks for the bones to heal so I am in a cast. Did they use any plates or screws for your surgery? How is walking now - would love details since it sounds like you're on your way! :D

• Posted

Hi Gail55238,

I had a bunionectomy on April 10th, I was put in a half cast (like a splint with an ace bandage over it) I was told no weight bearing and told to come back in a week. I got a knee scooter (the best thing ever) 8 days later, saw Dr. And he took off splint and just had me in a little gauze covering my stitches and an ace bandage. Told me to come back in a week and still no weight bearing. Went back 7 days later (this past Wednesday) and he took the stitches out and now has me in a boot and I am supposed to “heel walk” for the next four weeks until my next appointment.  I am hearing a lot of different recoverie, but this is what my doctor told me to do. Also, I have to wear a very annoying toe wedge between my big toe!  Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.