Advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on 20 mg since jan 2018 however I have been getting a really foggy head on and of for the past month I spoke to my doctor and he said it’s normal and told me to up my dose to 30 mg so he gave me a script for 10 mg however after seeking advice from some one on here they have told me this is normal which I did agree with and still do. But still after 2 weeks I keep getting this foggy head and lack of concentration my point is should I now think about upping to 30 mg or keep going on 20 mg any advice please x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria. I don’t think I am in a position to give advice on upping your dosage to 30 mgs. I am neither a doctor or pharmacist but if I were you, I would would ask my pharmacist as he is better informed on the chemistry of the medication than a doctor. I can tell you that I have been on 30 mgs of Citalopram for 13 weeks and I have been feeling a whole lot better in the past seven or eight days. Yes, it took 12 weeks to start feeling more comfortable in my own skin. Brain fog and anxiety were constant companions for far too long. I was was getting very discouraged and came close to deciding to switch remedy or dropping it altogether. With my background in Natural Healing I remembered that the over the counter (in North America), SAM-e or S-Adenosylmethionine, is a natural mood enhancer. I thought that I would get a month’s supply (Nature Made) and take 800 mgs on an empty stomach. This substance works quickly, in a matter of days and not weeks or months like our friend Citalopram. It has changed everything for me, and I am convinced that the combination of the Citalopram and SAM-e has been wonderful. I am grateful to have found a pretty great combo. The brain fog and anxiety have vanished. It feels so good to be able to function with a clear  and calm mind. Good luck to you Maria.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for replying to me I work in a pharmacy and my pharmacist said I should talk to my doctor about the brain fog and he said it maybe that 20 mg is not suitable so that’s why I rang my doctor. I am from the uk so not sure if the other item you Are taking is over here but I will go to the health shop and take alook thank you x
  • Posted

Hi Maria,

I'm sure you will get some good advice here, there are a lot more experienced people than me on this site.

I may be sticking my neck out here but I am wondering why your doctor upped your dose for a foggy head, I thought that upping your dose would be for heightened anxiety.

I'd be afraid to go higher personally because you will have all the side effects of the increased dose which could take weeks to adjust to. You may even need to consider reducing it your anxiety is under control and it's just the foggy head that's troublesome. I tried but couldn't take 20 mgs, it was too much for me.

I'd be interested to read the opinions of others here.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi thank you for replying this is why I haven’t upped my dose as yet because i no I will suffer with bad side effects as I did in the beginning of taking 20 mg my anxiety as calmed down but I do get it from time to time and some days it’s quite bad but I no that’s part of the recovery x
  • Posted

Hi Maria, at the start of any medication everybody responds differently, it takes a good weeks for your brain to settle & understand what’s happening to it, the brain fog you described is a good description because that’s exactly what it is. I have periods of it also & ive taken the medication for 5 years now. I’m not a doc or chemist, but I know when periods like this happen I do the simple things, get a good nights sleep, eat healthy, do some light exercise, I’m not talking about running a marathon but just give your body & brain a bit of TLC.

Go for a good walk around your local park, it’s so helps!

Sit tight it will pass  

Take care of you  👍

• Posted

Hi rob thank you for your reply I just thought the brain fog would of disappeared by now but guess no thanks thou x
  • Posted

I am neither a doctor or gp. I would say to go with the increase your doctor suggested. My from own experience of brain fog, it suggested I needed to increase my dose. I personally would try it, and as long as my anxiety didn't increase significantly, then I would stick with it. When I find a dose that works, I forget about depression and anxiety completely. Foggy to me sounds more of a depression symptom thank an anxiety one. This is just what I think, and think your doctor is correct. I wouldn't think side effects would be significant, as you've been on your current dose for some time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.