Advice please

Posted , 10 users are following.

i had bunion surgery 6 weeks ago, it has been a slow and painful process which I have no intention of repeating. My question is regarding the scar. Although it looks good and there is no infection it is so sore. Doctor suggested I wear a sock to try and protect it a bit but not working, it stings constantly. Pharmacy gave me an ibuprofen gel but again no joy. Is this normal? Still not in work, been signed off for a further 4 weeks. Thanks.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gail,

I'm still in pot but I must admit this is something I'm worried about. The surgery from the bunion is at the side of my foot should be ok. However I had instep fusion too and this is across the top of my foot, just where trainers lace up. In addition when they took shortstops of there was a rectangle of odd looking skin. I took photos and people said it looked like a skin graft. It isn't , but if there's New skin underneath it's a big patch. Again it's where shoes lace up. I've used rosehip oil in the past with some success. I'd like to know what other people use. I can't imagine what I'm going to wear if I can't wear trainers.

• Posted

Hi Gail x

I feel your pain, I'm still at home having had my surgery a bit over 5 weeks ago. (Fortunately I'm a graphic designer, so I can work from home which is handy, so I'm no longer officially signed off). I'm having a similar sort of issue with my foot though - they took the stitches our at my two-week post-op consultation and at three weeks told me yes, I could shower and get it wet and everything. Thing is the nurse put this greasy dressing on at that consultation (to soften the surrounding dead skin) and when I took this off at home and showered, the wound was tacky... and continued to be. So, I went back at the beginning of last week and they agreed, they took a swab and I had to have it rebandaged... And I went back two days ago and it's the same bloody situation - the poxy thing just wont heal up now! So frustrating because the foot itself feels pretty good.

Anyway, sorry for my tale of woe... all I'm trying to say is I think it takes different people different lengths of time to  heal and we all seem to heal in drastically different ways. As long as you KNOW there's no infection, then that's great. If the wound is closed (unlike mine), suggest maybe Germolene or Savlon cream (are you in the US? They're antiseptic and slightly anaesthetic/numbing creams we have in the UK but I'm sure there's a US equivalent if so). Also what about additional natural remedies, such as oils? (Petroleum jelly, for example, is supposed to be very good for scar areas... as well as things like Garlic, Coconut Oil... or so I hear...)

I really hope things feel better soon for you. Are you walking around a bit now? Till mine heals properly, I'm still bandaged and having to use the boot and crutch, which is so depressing! And I'll have to have my left one done at some stage next year too!

Thinking of you x

Jen x

• Posted

I am having surgery Monday and hoping for a good outcome .. re  healing .. please stay away from petroleum products  .. not healing ! Caster oil is a GREAT healer, have used it topically for various ailments .. google and see ..   for ulcerated wounds that nothing else will cure .. betadine [iodine] and sugar paste .. truly works !  Brightest thoughts
    • Posted

Hi

Healing has to start from the inside.

Protein

Gelatine

Vit C

General healthy eating... along with some movement.

Google healing after surgery.

Good luck.

• Posted

That is true  .. gelatin .. as in jello ? Great tip .. surgery today, not too bad so far thanks to pain meds, my sister, little knee scooter we rented on the way home.. once she leaves Saturday,will be a lot more challenging  :] .. one day at a time.. thanks for reaching out to me
  • Posted

Thanks everyone, I think it’s fair to say this is not a straightforward procedure, well the recovery isn’t! Been using the gel, still soaking foot in salt water and resting. Can do more now but foot swells almost immediately especially if I’m out and about, constantly loosening the laces on my oh so trendy trainers! Good luck everyone, Jen so sorry to hear you are back in bandages, how frustrating. I am continuing with the ibuprofen gel and wearing a cotton sock, sock has helped with the rubbing. Thank you all x
  • Posted

Hi

Early days...look at a YouTube on what was done...and I don't think you would wonder why it's still sore... it's major surgery...and early days...I'm 5 months down the road and it's still tender.

• Posted

I'm 5 months down the road too and still not back to the "normal" I expected to be yet. When my husband and I go shopping and we're waiting in the check out lines, I'm standing there like a darn flamingo with my knee bent to keep my sore foot up off the ground next to the closest shelf I can prop myself up on because it still gets sore lol.

• Posted

I have gone through several of these surgeries.  I am on week 4 of surgery number 4. The scar will take a long time to get feeling back.  Long time meaning minimum 6 months or at least that was it for me.  At this point, my big toe is completely numb.  Given it’s been cut into 3 times, I suspect I may never get full feeling back.   It takes a long time for the nerves to grow back. 
  • Posted

Hi Gail

Sorry to hear that you have issues with your scar, have you tried Cica Care Gel?

We regularly recommend this to our patients and to use Bio oil to feed the scar, to be used for at least a couple of months post op.

• Posted

Hi Jonathan,

ive been using aloe Vera gelly and the silicone strips during the day. Physio suggested soaking foot in a bowl of cold water and the warm water, the cold is a killer! Will have a look at your suggestion, thanks.

• Posted

Hi Gail,

As someone else mentioned healing starts from the inside so make sure you're eating well. Also, I'm using Avocado oil around my scar. It helps with any irritation and will hopefully get the area to look normal quicker.

These are some of the benefits of Avocado oil on the skin:

calm itchy skin

heal chapped skin

replenish dry skin

hydrate and moisturize skin

shield skin from ultraviolet radiation

protect against skin damage

Wish you the best.

Chel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.