Advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have only recently been diagnosed with HH.... ferritin 697... started vensection with 2 units a week x 3 weeks... but then haeomagloblin dropped to under 10..... I feel completely wiped out... find hard to muster any get up & go..exercise is so difficult.... would so appreciate any advice...go stopped vensection for min 6 weeks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your haemoglobin is too low .I suggest you stop until it is over 13. You have become anemic which has it's own dangers.

• Posted

I’m sorry I don’t have much advice but can I ask you a question?

We’re you suffering from fatigue before you started vensection? How high was your iron when you felt this way? 

I have been recently diagnosed and I have suffered chronic fatigue for a long time. I was hopeful that, as my iron went down, that I would gain energy and be less tired. It is disappointing to hear you say that the treatment is making you more fatigued not better. 

• Posted

In honesty I never noticed too much...everyone's tired these days...but after 2/3 venesections I noticed a big difference like an alertness..energy i didn't notice missing... but in my case I think too much too soon... lesson learned 2 units a week was to much ... maybe 1 every 2 weeks until I get to maintenance...learning curves for us newbies

• Posted

After a bad experience I now only subject myself to venesection once my  haemoglobin is over 13.5.
  • Posted

If you have reduced your dietary intake of foods with iron in it - stop.  Assuming this is the problem, keep eating green veggies, red meat if you like it, and any other natural food with natural iron in it.  Just avoid the man made fortified foods and iron supplements.

Reducing your dietary intake causes a reduction in haemoglobin and therefore causes problems which prevents you having your necessary venesections.

If not, try having some Vit C with meals to increase your iron intake to get your haemoglobin back up.

Having said that 2 x vx per week is excessive.  It is usually done for those with well over 1000, like even 4000, and yours was only 697.  I was >999 and once a week was plenty.  That is most likely your problem and you need to talk to your haematologist/dr, whoever ordered this frequency.

Good luck with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.