advice please

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been struggling with debilitating fatigue for months now and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 18 months ago. Once I had started on Levothyroxine 50mcg I improved alot but I've gone down hill again dramatically. The doctor has increased my dose of Levothyroxine up to 75mcg two months ago but this time it hasn't helped me as I hoped it would and now I'm suffering from seriously bad memory loss to the point that twice this week I have forgotten my girlfriends name and it really scares me, please help x

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danny, did  the symptoms worsen when you increased your dose?

Check out the side effects listed for levothyroxin. Its known to worsen thyroid disease and cause a multitude of autoimmune disease.  It seems sort of far fetched that meds would worsen your condition, but if you feel the meds are worsening things, they probably are. Keep in mind, as your dose increases, so do the side effects.

So, what to do? If you feel the  Levo isn't working, You can try an NDT (prescription Natural Dessicated Thyroid), or a non prescription bovine glandular such as ThyroGold. 

I’d also suggest looking into ckeansing, dietary changes and supplements that help with thyroid disease. There’s a lit you can do to improve thyroid health.

• Edited

Hi

Do you know what your results actually are?

You need to know and start learning v what they mean.

I know when my levels are out and need my dosage adjusting when my memory is bad.

If you e been told you are in range, you may be in the higher end of being in range and still symptomatic 

• Edited

Hi Jennifer, I find your comment about knowing your levels are put when your memory is bad, to be helpful.

I know when I start crying that I’m in trouble.  When my environment gets cluttered is anither one, as I’m too tired to notice or deal with. I'm not sure how to best recognize a bad memory.

• Posted

I have take levothyroxine for 2 yrs. now. Never had the debilitating fatigue problem till a month ago. You're right it is horrible. I don't know why I did it but I quit taking Levo over a week now. I am feeling pretty great. I cannot believe it, almost like I felt 3 yrs ago. Now I never went back to Dr., never discussed with her. I just did it on my own. I DO NOT recommend you do what I have done w/o discussing it w/your Dr. first. But wanted you to know what's happened to me. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Dix, thanks for posting. Good to hear your experience.  

I couldn't tolerate the stupid levothyroxin at all and became horribly ill from it.  I take essential amino acids for my thyroid and its better than any of the fozen meds I tried. Wanted to mention in case you get a relapse and need an alternative.

• Posted

75mcg is a very LOW dose you most likely need a higher dose. Your B Vit intake is very crucial for thyroid and brain health. You need enough T4 to convert B2 into FAD (active B2) which energizes your mitrochondria and brain health. T3 isnt the only active thyroid hormone. You really need an increase even without looking at your lab results. Your brain functioning is slowing down. It could even be a change in the strength of your meds even if it's same dose it may not be. Make sure your stomach is really empty and stays empty for 2hrs for better absorption. Most likely time for another increase. Think you know that. Don't stop the Levo unless you have a replacement. Don't think you would with brain slowing going.on.

• Posted

Thankyou for all your comments they are very helpful. I'm having another blood test tomorrow morning so I will see what is going on hopefully, I will let you guys know the outcome. I hope something is done as I am getting worse as the weeks go on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.