Advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good evening.

in 2019 during a colonoscopy i was diagnosed with diverticulitus, i didnt know what it was and took no notice of it.

fast forward to january 2024, i started with a horrible pain in my back and terrible diarrhoea that wouldnt go away, i contacted my GP who arranged for a FITQ test to be done, a couple of days later my results came back with a score of 400 showing signs of lots of blood in my stool.

luckily due to my works private healthcare i was able to have a colonoscopy within the week (longedt week of my life) i had convinced my self i had cancer and lost a stone in weight in just 7 days. after the procedure i was diagnosed with diverticulitus again and sent home awaiting a CT scan a couple of days later. CT scan came back all clear and the Consultant then discharged me with a leaflet about diverticulitus and told me to eat lots of fibre and drink more water.

1 week later and im in agony with my stomach, i feel sick, horrible back ache and generally just feel lousy, maybe a little depressed with it if im being honest. im eating more fibre, drinking lots of water but its not letting up at all.

i actually feel ok when i wake up, feel a little sickly but no pain, it all comes on mid afternoon and progresses through out the evening. im also full of wind.

Does this dound like a flare up to anyone?

how can i stop this?

are my symptoms normall for diverticulitis (stomach cramps, back ache, feeling sick, excessive gas)

im really getting down with this because theres no let up and i feel its getting worse.

also at no point have i been offered any antibiotics, should i be asking fir these?.

any help would be great because im going round the bend here.

Paul

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul , Ive just been diagnosed and have been told to go on a liquid diet when symptoms have flared up which appears to be the opposite of what your doing. High fibre diet when things are normal and liquid diet when in a flair appears to be the general rule.

• Posted

Hello .I think it's time to see your doctor again .I had all the stomach pains ,I think the word MAJOR describes it .I was found to have a burst ulcer , promptly put onto a ward ,connected to various drugs ,intravenously for ten days ,with NO FOOD . Didn't really want any . The ulcer did go away ,as did the pain ,and after 14 years ,I have never had another episode, Go see the doc !!!!!

Jacqueline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.